Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bryant Gumbel..On The Winter Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes

It is overt racism if you decide that golf is stupid and a created only and simply because white people like it and play it well. You feel it is stupid also soley because black people don't play it.

That is Gumbels' only arguement.

He hates the winter Olympics because black athletes are not featured.

He is just a racist fucktard.
    He mentions blacks then that's the reason...nothing else?

He said nothing about it being created for whites.

Are you going nutty?

Ok then...

Why do more people watch and play golf now?
    Why does he mention race at at all.

What revelance does it have on the winter Olympics as being legitimate.

Why does he specifically mention that the Winter Olympics looks like a GOP convention?

I have already named many more Summer Olympic games that get the same level of coverage outside the actual Olympic games.

You are in some type of massive denial.

This is ALL about race, to that fucking racist fucktard.

How can you not admit this?

Having interest in a sport because you have someone to engage your interest is far removed from telling everyone that someone is not an athlete or the Olypmics are a joke because you do not have a black athlete to follow. What a huge distinction and what a racist commentary.
    Last edited by hobbes; 02-10-2006 at 04:53 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    He mentions blacks then that's the reason...nothing else?

He said nothing about it being created for whites.

Are you going nutty?

Ok then...

Why do more people watch and play golf now?
    Why does he mention race at at all.

What revelance does it have on the winter Olympics as being legitimate.

Why does he specifically mention that the Winter Olympics looks like a GOP convention?

I have already named many more Summer Olympic games that get the same level of coverage outside the actual Olympic games.

You are in some type of massive denial.

This is ALL about race, to that fucking racist fucktard.

How can you not admit this?

Having interest in a sport because you have someone to engage your interrest is far removed from telling everyone that some is not an athlete or the Olypmics are a joke because you do not have a black athlete to follow. What a huge distinction and what a racist commentary.
    Here's the thing...he mentioned more than blacks in his commentary. All you see is race.

GOP conventions have a lack of blacks in them, btw.

He said he's not watching for umpteen reasons. He even cites that some of the sports aren't interesting.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #23
    I see what he is really talking about.

I am really sorry for you that you don't want want to admit this.

His commentary is shameful, racist and ignorant.

Busy, you really have to learn to see through the words to the meaning.

He has said nothing about the Winter Olympics that could not be said for the Summer.

He has made specific points that no Winter Olympic game could be considered representive of great athletes without blacKs

When referencing a GOP convention one is supposed to think of "whites", that is why he used that specific reference. Otherwise, it would have been completely pointless.

Seriously, do you even believe the bullshit you are trying to sell?

All he had to say was that he doesn't like ice/snow related events and was not going to watch.

The very specific comment that all events involved could not be considered the best athletes because blacks were not involved, clearly points to his racist fuckhole perspective.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Lounge   -   #24
    I see what he is really talking about.

I am really sorry for you that you don't want want to admit this.

His commentary is shameful, racist and ignorant.

Busy, you really have to learn to see through the words to the meaning.

He has said nothing about the Winter Olympics that could not be said for the Summer.

He has made specific points that no Winter Olympic game could be considered representive of great athletes without blacKs

When referencing a GOP convention one is supposed to think of "whites", that is why he used that specific reference. Otherwise, it would have been completely pointless.

Seriously, do you even believe the bullshit you are trying to sell?

All he had to say was that he doesn't like ice/snow related events and was not going to watch.

The very specific comment that all events involved could not be considered the best athletes because blacks were not involved, clearly points to his racist fuckhole perspective.
    First off, I'm not trying to sell any bullshit.

His entire commentary was flawed.....yet it wasn't. That's why I said "in a Bryant Gumbel kinda way."

All those reasons he stated ARE reasons that many don't watch the Winter Games whether they apply to Summer or not. He's talking about Winter and it's as a whole.

Again I heard the same racial utterances for college basketball, NBA basketball, NFL football, hockey, baseball, golf, and tennis.

Flaw - ancient Greeks didn't have basketball in the Summer Games either.

However - there were no Winter Games AT ALL.
    ---
    Flaw - blacks on a whole either don't have the interest and/or mainly the access to be involved in many winter competitions.

However - whites do not nearly represent the entire world.
    ---
    Flaw - the Summer Games have subjective judged events also (I think more).

However - he's talking about the Winter Games. He's talking on a whole why he isn't watching.
    ---
    Flaw - the discus and some other events in the Summer Games get very little time either

However - most people know those events very well and they are quite common outside of TV. You most likely did them in high school. Biathlon, skeleton, luge?
    ---

I don't know the origin rationale behind the Winter Games (marketing?, cater to those that live in colder climates?) but he's on the money about March Madness.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-10-2006 at 05:50 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #25
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Bryant Gumbel hosts a show called Real Sports on HBO, which purports to celebrate ALL sports, and is generally expressive of a universal respect of and for all sport; it is the very basis of the show.

Gumbel chooses to devote a commentary exclusively to his view of the Winter Olympic games as a boredom- and ennui-inducing non-spectacle, and cannot muster within himself the least interest for them.

It would seem to be at least slightly inappropriate for Gumbel to knock sport in any form (save cock-fighting, possibly) given that it is the milieu from which he derives a paycheck, and, in any case, one wonders whom he intended to take note of his pique, and why?

The answer to these questions is contained in that single sentence about the "paucity of blacks" causing the proceedings to resemble nothing quite so much as a "GOP convention".

Absent that sentence, his little rant is nothing other than an inappropriate comment in an inappropriate forum; it would have conveyed the message rather well, though, had his point been only that he couldn't be bothered to tune in to the games.

Inclusion of the sentence reveals his compulsion for the entire piece; it is his raison d'etre.

That makes him a racist, smarmy specie.

Period.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #26
    He mentioned so the entire piece must be race. Maybe those people that made comment about the paucity of blacks on certain college basketball teams were racist too. Adolf Rupp anyone?

Oh and on that same show there was a lengthy story on the 1984 Winter Olympic skiing champ, Bill Johnson.

Oh and Bryant Gumbel has one black reporter, James Brown, on his roster for the show.

Oh and I'm watching PTI right now and they are talking about why they aren't watching either.
    If they had mentioned race, their entire talk about it would have made them racists.

I understand now.

Sorry to break it to the "white men" that don't get it but race sometimes plays an important role in drumming interest in a sport.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-10-2006 at 10:54 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Lounge   -   #27
    He mentioned so the entire piece must be race. Maybe those people that made comment about the paucity of blacks on certain college basketball teams were racist too. Adolf Rupp anyone?

Oh and on that same show there was a lengthy story on the 1984 Winter Olympic skiing champ, Bill Johnson.
    Because Bill Johnson has fought his way back from an accident that damn near killed him.

I'm sure if he was black, Bryant would have done the interview himself...

WTF has Adolf Rupp to do with anything in this thread?

The subject of your thread was Bryant Gumbel's view that the Winter Games were a waste of his time.

Back to the piece for a moment...

Do you contend he could not have gotten his point across without that sentence?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

Because Bill Johnson has fought his way back from an accident that damn near killed him.

The subject of your thread was Bryant Gumbel's view that the Winter Games were a waste of his time.

Absolutely. Deletion of any one of the sentences, and he could have got his point across.

See I got that he was ripping the Winter Olympics for all those reasons.
    You got that he wasn't watching JUST 'cause of lack of blacks.

It might be 'cause you're white.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

Absolutely. Deletion of any one of the sentences, and he could have got his point across.

Come again?

See I got that he was ripping the Winter Olympics for all those reasons.

Why even bother?

So we'll know Bryant Gumbel is 'your man for all sports' except when it comes to the Winter Games?

Given that he is a "sports guy", why would he even bother to mention the games at all, UNLESS...

You got that he wasn't watching JUST 'cause of lack of blacks.

...THAT is his reason for speaking up?

Why doesn't he favor us with everything else he doesn't like about sports?

I imagine you probably watch his show at least semi-regularly; what was the last sport or event he set aside special time for the "Gumbel Treatment"?

It might be 'cause you're white.
    Oh, I see; perceptions having to do with race are not valid unless uttered by a black man; if I may be granted your gracious permission, I'll go ahead and conclude you've just called me a racist.

Thank you very much.

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    busy calls everyone a racist

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast