Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Private Trackers', why so wanted?

worldpease's Avatar always annoying
    Ok, why are private tracker special?
    will I find even better stuff on them, or what?.

For example, for a long time I've been wanting to download
    the Jurassic Park movies on DVD (DVD-R), but there are no copies on
    the web available,
    will a private tracker have it?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    private trackers are usually full of people who keep their share ratios at 1:1 or higher and are usually places that you can request a file that you want. There are far less hit and runners, so a torrent usually stays on the tracker longer as opposed to the public sites, where noone really cares if they share the file back, just so long as they get it, so theres no "reward" so to speak for keeping a file alive. And it would be a higher probability that a private tracker somewhere will/may have or can get the DVD you asked about. Sometimes a mix of both public and private can be usefull. I have found files on public trackers that i couldnt find on private ones. Its nice to have both options. On public trackers, I will share the file back to 1 ratio, then i jump off. On a private tracker, I will keep the file running as long as I possibly can, sometimes sharing it back to 10:1 or higher. try asking someone on a public tracker to help seed a torrent with 0 peers and 10 leechers.....Its generally not possible.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 02-12-2006 at 05:11 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Well, you are right,
    but still, there seems to be some considerated people left in the world,
    cus I've noticed that when I upload something, many of the dldrs, keep the torrent
    active for quite some time.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Try downloading something from a private tracker, you'll get much better speeds...

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I guess it can't hurt to try,
    do they charge me to register, or they just watch that I keep a
    fair ratio?

wait, is torrentbox.com private?,
    cus I believe Im registered with them.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    torrentbox is not private. anyone can download their torrents. Thats not to say that there arent good people on torrentbox, but its not a private site.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I dont know of any private sites that charge you to register, That not to say there are not any just that I don't know of any. All of them take donatiions. Private sites are more concerend for security than a open tracker is. the speeds are better because there ratios are tracked.

You should try one out sometime. You might like it.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Most sites that say you have to pay are bogus versions of real torrent sites. Just keep fishing around for an invite you will get one eventually.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    yea but torrentbox i think enforces ratios sos speeds should be decent their

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    If you have a decent upload your speed on a public tracker shouldn't be all that bad, it's all "tick for tock".

The problem I have with private trackers is that because the user base is often so small that unless you are among the first to jump on a torrent it's near impossible to give back as much as you take. Also, on many of the trackers they have a dedicated team of releasers that are the only ones that can upload a torrent to the listings. I many times find myself downloading something just because I can be one of the first to jump on it and seed it back and maybe help my ratio.

It can all be a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Broken; 02-15-2006 at 05:01 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast