Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newshosting.com

Poster
    Do they throttle your account after a while as i used to be hitting 1meg download speed now it's like 300kb/s.
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by AcID ZeR0
    Do they throttle your account after a while as i used to be hitting 1meg download speed now it's like 300kb/s.
    Nope, they haven't for anyone that I know of using Newshosting. The only one that I've heard of throttling is Giganews.

Have you checked their site? They are currently having troubles with comcast cable customers, is that your ISP?

Edit: Also, have you started using 8 connections rather than 4? They used to only allow 4 connections with unlimited accounts, but after the upgrade to 40 days retention on binaries, they allowed 8 connections. It seems as though they allow more connections, but allow less bandwidth per connection now.
    Last edited by Damnatory; 02-12-2006 at 09:08 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster
    Hi Damnatory, nope I'm with Blueyonder.

Twas getting 1200kb/s download speed about 3 days back, with 8 connections. haven't changed ANY settings since now the speed is lingering around 300-400kb/s very strange. I assume this is a peak time for downloading so I'll wait a little while before decided upon a next step.

All my speed tests read 10meg or there abouts and I'm downloading from other sites at about 1100kb/s.
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    GNTim

Question Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory
    Quote Originally Posted by AcID ZeR0
    Nope, they haven't for anyone that I know of using Newshosting. The only one that I've heard of throttling is Giganews.

Have you checked their site? They are currently having troubles with comcast cable customers, is that your ISP?
    Greetings all. This is my first post in this forum; although I've been lurking for a while.

Giganews does not throttle customers in any way. There have been numerous threads on this topic in other forums along with many end users confirming that there is no Giganews capping or throttling.

From time to time there may be issues with a customer's ISP. This is usually due to congestion with the ISP itself and is not isolated to Giganews. Some ISPs will also rate limit NNTP traffic in general (primarily non-US ISPs). You may also want to get up to date on "Net Neutrality" if you suspect service specific limiting from your ISP.

In a few forums customers were reporting slowness when coming from the Comcast network. Again, this may happen from time to time depending on congestion on Comcast's network (especially since they only have one backbone vendor).

I have investigated Comcast speed issues with our support team and have confirmed that we are not getting reports from Comcast customers relating to throttling of NNTP traffic or slowness in general.

As always you can test your download speeds with Giganews by using our Usenet Download Tester.

Good luck,
    Tim
    Giganews, Inc.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by gntim
    Greetings all. This is my first post in this forum; although I've been lurking for a while.

Giganews does not throttle customers in any way. There have been numerous threads on this topic in other forums along with many end users confirming that there is no Giganews capping or throttling.

From time to time there may be issues with a customer's ISP. This is usually due to congestion with the ISP itself and is not isolated to Giganews. Some ISPs will also rate limit NNTP traffic in general (primarily non-US ISPs). You may also want to get up to date on "Net Neutrality" if you suspect service specific limiting from your ISP.

In a few forums customers were reporting slowness when coming from the Comcast network. Again, this may happen from time to time depending on congestion on Comcast's network (especially since they only have one backbone vendor).

I have investigated Comcast speed issues with our support team and have confirmed that we are not getting reports from Comcast customers relating to throttling of NNTP traffic or slowness in general.

As always you can test your download speeds with Giganews by using our Usenet Download Tester.

Good luck,
    Tim
    Giganews, Inc.
    No offense, but I can recognize a hard limit when I see it. In an interest to keep this an on topic discussion, I'll leave it at that.

As for the Comcast issues, I was refering to Newshosting posting about an issue with comcast customers, sorry if you misunderstood me.

Acid Zero- Have you found a resolution to your problem, or still having difficulties.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    GNTim
    [/QUOTE] No offense, but I can recognize a hard limit when I see it. In an interest to keep this an on topic discussion, I'll leave it at that.
    [/QUOTE]

Definitely don't want to get things off topic, but if you want to PM me and give an example of a hard limit you feel you've experienced I'll be happy to investigate.

You can read more about capping here.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Last edited by gntim; 02-13-2006 at 08:29 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    The Quiet One
    Acid Zero...it has to be on your end.
    I've got 8 open and still at 700 kb/s.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    as far as i know Newshosting doesn't limit the downstream in anyway, that is why im still their customer.
    With 8 connections and 1200KB/s downstream...its still going strong.
    Few times it gives me connection errors or articles won't be found on the server do to dome problems on their side,but if you visit their site it will tell you if they are having any kind of problems or upgrades.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    As Newshosting are now owned seemingly owned by Highwinds Media expect some changes over the next few months that could lead to more retention or keener pricing.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend
    As Newshosting are now owned seemingly owned by Highwinds Media expect some changes over the next few months that could lead to more retention or keener pricing.
    Interesting news...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast