Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a letter from my isp, who was contacted from paramount, should I be scared??

Totally dumb,

I downloaded this movie called the Machinist, which was poor in quality and I only managed to watch about 10 minutes of before I lost interest and deleted it. I just don't get into movies that much I guess. Then I got a letter from my isp threatening that I would lose my internet connection if I cont'd did something like it again. Is this common. I mean I am far from a frequent offender. Should I quit all together. Have any of you gotten these letters? Any and all advice greatly appreciated

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Change your ISP.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    next time download an isp blocker... so that your isp is hidden....

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    VB has the answer. Who is your ISP by the way?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by foodforthemoon
    Totally dumb,

I downloaded this movie called the Machinist, which was poor in quality and I only managed to watch about 10 minutes of before I lost interest and deleted it. I just don't get into movies that much I guess. Then I got a letter from my isp threatening that I would lose my internet connection if I cont'd did something like it again. Is this common. I mean I am far from a frequent offender. Should I quit all together. Have any of you gotten these letters? Any and all advice greatly appreciated
    Some networks are closely observed by RIAA type organisations.. IP blocks are helpful, but probably gives a false sense of security... and also bad luck about the film being of inferior quality too.. Perhaps it's time , if you wish to continue file-sharing, to check out some of the private servers on the OpenNap networks?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I was talking to a friend of mine who said he was contacted by his ISP. Supposedly they told him they would turn off his internet if he used bittorrent again. I pretty sure he hasn't touched it since.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    You could use BT legally you know, To download linux and stuff.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by thefallout
    I was talking to a friend of mine who said he was contacted by his ISP. Supposedly they told him they would turn off his internet if he used bittorrent again. I pretty sure he hasn't touched it since.
    Why be held hostage by a company that you're paying? Let them disconnect the service. They lose money by doing that. As I said above, just change providers.

Our cash speaks louder than you people give it credit. If we all cancel our service every time our ISP contacts us regarding filesharing, do you think they will continue for long? I certainly don't think so.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    LegendaryU2K's Avatar "Respect all Women"
    I dont download movies, i just buy them on VHS, thus cheap prices. Yes, i still use VHS, and sometimes i do buy dvd's, like the smallville series.

Now i do download smallville shows, just for sharing some clips, thats about it. Other then that, i buy my movies, its really the best way to go.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Quote Originally Posted by thefallout
    Why be held hostage by a company that you're paying? Let them disconnect the service. They lose money by doing that. As I said above, just change providers.

Our cash speaks louder than you people give it credit. If we all cancel our service every time our ISP contacts us regarding filesharing, do you think they will continue for long? I certainly don't think so.
    Sorry, but I must correct you here, if you are found
    downloading illegally obtained copywrited files, then most ISPs are perfectly within their rights, to disconnect you and still require you to pay your monthly fees, untill the end of your contract...

...nevertheless the writing is on the wall...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast