Thread: home network

Poster
    i didnt know were to put this... i just set up two computers to a wired network with a router. the computers are sharing a internet connection and one of them has a printer directly connected to it. how do i print from the computer that has no printer to the computer that does have one? also the computer that has the printer attached to it can acsess the files of the computer that has no printer but the computer that has no printer cant acsess the files of the computer that has a printer. what do i need to do to be able to share and print on both computers? thanks

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    For the sake of the explanation the computer with the printer on is going to be called WSX01 the second computer is WSX02

To Share the printer is easy. Select Printers and faxes from the start menu on the WSX01. Right click on the printer and select sharing. Select share this printer. you can name it if you want to. Then click apply and ok.

On WSX02 click start> run then type \\WSX01 and hit enter. This will bring up everything that is shared on this PC. You may get prompted for username and password. But I doubt it. However if you do type this
    WSX01\username (insert your info for username and computer). Remember that it has to be the username and password for WSX01.

To share files is basically the same way. Since this is your home stuff it will be easy. The best way is to open up My Computer and right click on the drive with the files, we are going to say C. Select Sharing and Security > new share > name it > slect permissions > select full control > click OK > select the security tab > give everyone full permissions then click apply and Ok to get out. Once you click on ok and your back at the My computer screen you should see a hand under the C drive.

Now when you go to WSX02 from WSX01 you should be able to type in the run box \\WSX02\C$. You may get prompted for username and password. Please follow directions above.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 02-20-2006 at 08:45 AM.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Poster
    i shared the printer on WSX01 but when i go to WSX02 and try to acess WSX01 i get this error message:
    [http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/3562/18ei1.jpg
    i also shared both computers files but on WSX02 trying to acess WSX01 it gives me the same message as the picture above and on WSX01 trying to acess WSX02 it says invailed path. what is wrong? i do see a hand under both computers c drive but your directions "Select Sharing and Security > new share > name it > slect permissions > select full control > click OK > select the security tab > give everyone full permissions then click apply and Ok to get out." were not all there. what i did was sharing and security> under share tab check share folder on network> name it> check allow users to change my files. it seems like WSX01 is still blocking WSX02 for some reson and WSX01 cant find WSX02s path.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    does wsx01 have a firewall on it?

also you could try running network setup wizard, it will share the printer automatically.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Poster
    wsx01 does not have a firewall.it does have a router though. i disabled sp2 security center on both comps. i tried running the wizard but it still doesnt work. i moved the printer from WSX01 to WSX02 and tried to print from WSX01 to WSX02 and it worked. when i moved the printer back to WSX01 and tired to print from WSX02 it did not work again. any ideas?