Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cd Buying

i just bought Quality by Talib Kweli today.

it just needed to be bought.

2. Music   -   #12
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Most bands at today outlet stores do not get most of their money from SELLING RECORDS!!! THEY GET IT FROM TOURING, Errr, when will you people realize this?

3. Music   -   #13
    BANNED
    Most bands at today outlet stores do not get most of their money from SELLING RECORDS!!! THEY GET IT FROM TOURING, Errr, when will you people realize this?
    Exactly rihgt also how much money do u think the artist gets when u buy the CD???? shit all harley anything only about $2 the rest goes to marketing sceme anyway i havnt bought a CD since december 2001! I live in Australia and we have to pay $30 a CD here to damm expensive i can get it for the same quality for $1.50 and print the cover

4. Music   -   #14
    I know they get their money from touring, but a lot of bands I listen to do not come through my town. So, instead of giving them nothing I will buy their CD to help them out. When I do get a chance to go to their shows I will usually buy the CD from them.

5. Music   -   #15
    Poster
    i still and always will buy CD's. i got to thats the only way i feel as those im supporting the artist.

6. Music   -   #16
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    I like to try and buy the CD...but as people have said, It costs £16.99 for a brand new CD...but you could download that for free!

If the band is wee (Ie like Great Big Sea is over here) I may download their songs, then actually buy the CD when it is released over here!

7. Music   -   #17
    Proffesional Dumbass
    yeah i live in australia too adthomp

i dont buy cd's anywhere near as often as i used to but occasionally i might buy one if i hapen to be somewhere that sells it at the time that i want it

8. Music   -   #18
    Luca_Snipes's Avatar Poster
    i normaly buy 5 or so CD's a month (depending on beer spending ), and recently i've been filling my collection from what has been downloaded, they want to stop downloading, but downloading has ment that I have bought CD's from bands i'd never heard of, and i'm sure it's the same for other people

9. Music   -   #19
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    I always buy the original cd's! At least 3 a month or so.
    And i only burn compilation cd's or special hard to get cd's, or my own vinyl rips!

10. Music   -   #20
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    I dont buy cd's anymore [except for Type O Negative and 1 or 2 other bands]
    I just dont have the money, so most album i download i would not have bought anyway.

This is how I see it going. The Type O record comes out. 62,580 people have already download it.
    Now this may seem innocent under the guise that everyone will buy it anyway. But here's the deal. Without much anticipation, there's no big rush to get an album, everyone's been hearing for two months already. I'm talking about an average fan who figures "well next time I'm in the store or on a p2p I'll get the real thing".

The effect is then a lower first week chart number (estimated to drop at 10- 20% by the corp. world due to downloads) which in turn puts less pressure on the large institutions to play Type O on the radio, or give any type of video support. Then it's time for us to move on and get another record deal. Mr.(or Mrs. or Ms.) A&R Scumbag says "look........... they're last album only entered the charts at #49. This will of course generate a smaller offer because industry scum's rarely see anything but statistics (though there are exceptions and very few). This is not purely about money (though I wouldn't mind some) but about keeping a band going strong after 13 years.

Without the outward appearance of a big first week push there's no snowball effect, which causes interest in the album to fizzle out, which otherwise may have been a surprisingly strong showing. Now artistically I don't give two shits what's out there.
    [Josh Silver]

[They finished their last album on RoadRunner and moving on to another Recorddeal, hence part of the quote]

Thats why i buy their album in the first week after the release, its not only about cd sales, its also about getting a band higher up in the charts, that way they get more airplay, more people come and see live shows, better recorddeals etc......
    [did that make any sense?]
    Plus, if nobody buys the original, we wouldnt be able to downlaod them, so....... lets all buy a cd every now and than.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast