Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wireless use of other peoples bandwidth is legal?

Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    dlink airplus dwl - g650

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    You can use Netlimiter software and throttle the bandwidth on your end - that way they won't see any settings have been changed.

Be aware, I'd only have to go to my router page and click Attached Devices to find you there - thay can probably do the same.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    If you ask then you have a better chance that they will let you use it.
    If they find out you're using it without asking then they'll surely turn on encryption to block you.

Do the right thing.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    If you ask then you have a better chance that they will let you use it.
    If they find out you're using it without asking then they'll surely turn on encryption to block you.

Do the right thing.
    You're also assuming that these people know something about networking, as opposed to the other oblivious 90% of people with Wireless access.

Though I would probably still ask permission, provided you can actually discreetly find out whose bandwidth you're leeching anyway...

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #15
    They can easly check there settings and see who has been accessing there network and find out your IP. Just try and find out who has a wireless connection, make small talk like:

"So what kinda internet do you have? I was thinking of getting one of those wireless things, you heard about them?" (act all stupid and they won't suspect anything.)

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #16
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    The only reason you might want to find out who it is is to see if they are a big guy who could beat the crap out of you.

Really, there's no point in in asking them if you can use it - they're just gonna say no and find out how to encrypt it. Steal it or don't steal it, but don't ask the guy if it's OK to rob him.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #17
    but your ip as seen in the router will just be the one the router assigned to you so it won't identify you at all. The router's dhcp client table will however show your computer's name, so if you named the comp after yourself its probably a good idea to change it.

Assuming you use xp then to change it press:
    windows key + pause/break
    this will bring up system properties (or you can access this through control panel) then click on the computer name tab and change near the bottom

I've used someones connection before and no one ever commented on anything to me. The kind of people who leave it unsecured don't have a clue and will likely never even know that anyone else has used hteir connection.
    You could probably even log into their router with the default password if you really wanted to, but theres probably no point unless you want to be really cheeky and forward some ports to yourself.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #18
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    take it and invite them into your mp3 collection *dabs

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #19
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ...who gave them permission to be in your home in the first place...with their radio waves?

edit: people or radio waves that enter my home, have to abide by my rules...
    Last edited by thewizeard; 02-22-2006 at 06:21 AM.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #20
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw
    but your ip as seen in the router will just be the one the router assigned to you so it won't identify you at all. The router's dhcp client table will however show your computer's name, so if you named the comp after yourself its probably a good idea to change it.

Assuming you use xp then to change it press:
    windows key + pause/break
    this will bring up system properties (or you can access this through control panel) then click on the computer name tab and change near the bottom

I've used someones connection before and no one ever commented on anything to me. The kind of people who leave it unsecured don't have a clue and will likely never even know that anyone else has used hteir connection.
    You could probably even log into their router with the default password if you really wanted to, but theres probably no point unless you want to be really cheeky and forward some ports to yourself.
    Thats not totally true. The router will also display your Mac address and thats how DHCP releases the IPs to use. Your Mac address is unique to your computer so if they find that they can "somehow" identify you..
    blah blah blah... whatever...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast