Thread: Worth playing X360 on an old TV?

Poster
    I'm thinking of getting a 360 and a PS3 when its released, but the TV in my room is quite an old, Phillips CRT...Is it even worth playing a console like this on that type of TV? Will it generally look horrendous? Would the graphics be noticeably better on a new, HD TV? My family TV is a 80" LG Flatron, but I'd like to play my games in my room without interference. My TV doesn't even have RCA ports though, so I run m consoles through my VCR And then into my TV....
    Last edited by Vamp; 04-09-2006 at 10:40 AM.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Well if you have the money to buy an xbox360 AND a ps3 when it comes out, couldn't you afford a new tv?
    It would look better on an HD tv i'm sure but how can we judge your current tv?
    It might have a good picture or the tube may be going and it's blurry, we don't know because you didn't tell us.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Well, it's in perfect condition, but does the HD/Flat part of new televisions make that much of a difference?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    thecreator89's Avatar EFFYOUsion, biotch
    Why did you join this forum? Because you download. and seeing as how you want to play games, you probably pplay games on your computer. You probably have a pimped out computer if your family has a 80' HD tv. Everything good out for the 360 is out on PC. the 360 has marginally better graphics than a great coomputer NOW, but give it a few months, and the 360's graphics (example: Fight night 3) will be commonplace on any good computer.

I say don't buy a 360, buy a new TV now. Wait for the Ps3 to come out, and then you can have the best of both worlds: Excellent graphics, excellent sound, new tv, new ps3, and a pc powerhouse that probably outgunns the 360.
    <<<FIRE>>><<<FOR>>><<<EFFECT>>>
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core
    ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
    Corsair 2x512MB PC3200
    XFX Nvidia 7600GT 256MB
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    Samsung 940b-19" 8ms 700:1

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Well, when I got my PC it was a beast...Now a year later it's slipping in the ranks, and that's how it's always going to be with PC hardware...At least consoles are somewhat futureproof. But does having a great TV make all of a difference between the quality of a console graphics? How does the resolution work?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    I still play my PS2 on a tube TV. Looks nice.
    But mine has RCA, S-video, etc.

HDTV resolution is far greater though.
    Tube pictures are what? 6-something x 4-something
    (native NTSC res, dunno 'bout you PAL ppl)
    HDTV is what? 1080 x 780 or something like that?
    I had read up on that stuff when 1080p was introduced, but I've slept since then.
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Game consoles don't have HD capability, yet. So any TV will work fine although using the best available connections will yield better results on different TVs.

RGB, S-video and Composite(yellow RCA jack) connections are the preferred methods(in that order).

But, if your TV is truly old, and doesn't have any inputs, then an RF converter is necessary in order to modulate your console's output to a
    television channel your TV can receive (i.e. channel 3 or 4).
    RF convertors are available at most department stores and Radio Shacks here in the US.