Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Kissinger -- War Criminal

THE TRIALS OF HENRY KISSINGER

"Henry Kissinger is a war criminal," says firebrand journalist Christopher Hitchens. "He's a liar. And he's personally responsible for murder, for kidnapping, for torture." What is Hitchens on about? He could be talking about the lawsuit currently under way in Washington DC, in which Kissinger is charged with having authorised the assassination of a Chilean general in 1970. Or he could be referring to the secret bombing of Cambodia which, arguably, Kissinger engineered without the knowledge of the US Congress in 1969. Or perhaps Kissinger's involvement in the sale of U.S. weapons to Indonesian President Suharto for use in the massacre of 1/3 of the population of East Timor in 1975.

Kissinger BBC

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I am not well enough acquainted with the details of Kissinger's actions while representing the United States to comment about Hitchens' allegations.
    At the tail end of your linked article was a comment that I would like to respond to.
    I think that it is stupendously hypocritical for the US to refuse to submit to the same laws that we are so willing to impose on other nations.
    We are quick to demand extradition of "war criminals" to stand before a tribunal at The Hague, and quicker yet to explain why we shouldn't face the same sanctions.
    It's easy to see why a large part of the world has such a love/hate ambivalence towards us.
    "Do as I say, not as I do" usually stops being an effective persuasion when you're 5.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@22 April 2003 - 21:52
    I think that it is stupendously hypocritical for the US to refuse to submit to the same laws that we are so willing to impose on other nations.
    We are quick to demand extradition of "war criminals" to stand before a tribunal at The Hague, and quicker yet to explain why we shouldn't face the same sanctions.
    It's easy to see why a large part of the world has such a love/hate ambivalence towards us.
    "Do as I say, not as I do" usually stops being an effective persuasion when you're 5.
    Here! Here!

Yes-this is the crux of the accusation of arrogance-were it not for that quality our "Foreign Policy" would be (almost) unassailable.

BTW-anyone read Hitchens' book on the Clintons? DEVASTATING!!

If you thought Kissinger and Nixon were bad.......
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by j2k4@23 April 2003 - 06:32
    BTW-anyone read Hitchens' book on the Clintons? DEVASTATING!! If you thought Kissinger and Nixon were bad.......
    Really? Do tell!

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by myfiles3000+23 April 2003 - 15:51--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myfiles3000 @ 23 April 2003 - 15:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@23 April 2003 - 06:32
    BTW-anyone read Hitchens&#39; book on the Clintons? DEVASTATING&#33;&#33;&nbsp; If you thought Kissinger and Nixon were bad.......
    Really? Do tell&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I can&#39;t do the book justice here; I was amazed at the Clintons&#39; brazen disregard for common decency, though, and flat-out shocked that Chris Hitchens wrote it. At one time, they were all big fans of each other&#39;s......I&#39;ll try to find the title-I borrowed the book; can&#39;t remember what it was called at the moment.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by myfiles3000+23 April 2003 - 15:51--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myfiles3000 @ 23 April 2003 - 15:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@23 April 2003 - 06:32
    BTW-anyone read Hitchens&#39; book on the Clintons? DEVASTATING&#33;&#33;&nbsp; If you thought Kissinger and Nixon were bad.......
    Really? Do tell&#33; [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s called "No One Left To Lie To".

I recommend it highly. B)

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4, both Hitchens&#39; books are on my summer reading list, i&#39;ll get back to you on who&#39;s the bigger crook according to him -- clinton or kissinger. I have my suspicions...

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@28 April 2003 - 03:43
    j2k4, both Hitchens&#39; books are on my summer reading list, i&#39;ll get back to you on who&#39;s the bigger crook according to him -- clinton or kissinger. I have my suspicions...
    Re: "Who&#39;s the bigger crook...."

Considerations of "scale" are important, but you WILL be impressed with the pettiness/slimyness/abusiveness of the Clintons. And crooks? I await your opinion with the proverbial " &#39;bated breath".

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    simple truth of life = history is written by the winners

u ever read the gauls account of the Agricolla? - live with it

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Poster
    When I went to type something about this post I had already finished and mysteriously .....the screen flashed and my post was deleted.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I had gotten past the commentary on the book on Clinton and his pardoning of Susan McDougall....and moved on to comment on the current regime. Is this just fortuitous or could it be a symptom of a deeper problem???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast