Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Tricks To Make A Pc Quieter?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    hehe, this is sorta of to save money and for fun:

What are some ways to get a pc quieter?

Tape over any open holes ont he side panels of the mobo?
    Use a freezer like cooler instead of the cpu fan? (lol keep it COLD)

got n e?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Proffesional Dumbass
    are there any real ones? cuz my computers in my bedroom and when i download overnight it gets annoying

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    you could use a heatsink (or ramsink?) on your video card if it ain't too heavy duty
    a lot of the lower end video cards don't really need fans, my GeForce 3 ti200 has just a heatsink and i've had no problems

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I think I could put tape on the holes from inside, but wonder if it would fall off and hit the mobo....meltt....ehh BURRRRNz upZ

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    you could also try a high quality power supply. i've got a thermaltake woo8r 420W unit, and i think my pc is pretty quiet (even though i have a cpu fan, case fan and exhaust fan )

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Well the only things that make any noice when your PC is idling over night is the

System Fan
    CPU Fan
    Hard Drive

Well, although the depends on the hard drive, and its placement, if that is causing noise, You can always mount it in the back of the tower. ( depending on the case setup you have.

For the system and CPU fans, you can always just put some ugly cardboard on the sides of your computer, facing out towards the back, to make a small sound barrier, while not affecting the air flow, because its only out flow.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Whats the point ?...make the damn thing as loud as possible ( thats what the over clockers think )...

if u want a silent machine get a Cyrix 800....it doesnt need a fan or heatsink.......and it runs off a 9V battery (allegedly ).....cyrix is now owned by via......whats YOUR chipset lol

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Here's a nice idea: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/s...3422228,00.html
    not cheap though...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    The simplest thing you can do is to lower the speed of any cooling fans. Movement of air is what causes the majority of the noise. If you have a decent motherboard and/or fan(s), this is possible Maybe not your processor fan so much but the other fans aren't as critical. Especially since downloading isn't as "aggressive" on your computer as maybe some other tasks(e.g. video editing/encoding). Hence you don't need as much cooling. And, again, a good motherboard will have temp monitoring capabilities for this very reason. Alot of vendors sell manual fan controls for mounting in a cd-drive expansion slot.

Plugging any holes is a stupid idea. Ventilation is key to air cooling a PC.

Sound deadening material(like a car stereo installer uses), can work wonders in decreasing the sound your hardrive(s) will make.

Hope that helps

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    hmm
    I wonder if I can cover the whole thing with something and make the only openening in the back... would this burn it up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast