Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nasty Little Program...

I had similar problems with dialers, though I am not sure what would detect this, Needles to to say I ended up formatting my hard drive at one time due to much crap. Fortunatally I have cable now and no phone cord and examine anything I dl.

Though imagine how many people have paid these statements. I had a simililar problem on my cell phone. I got paged to a 10 digit number, though I figured I had nationwide I could not get charged but it was in the Dominican Republic as well and ran up $27 in the 3 or 4 minutes that I was on. If your wondering (which you are), it was a chat line with some Jamacians talking about whatever. I kept asking who I was calling to have some guy tell me tell me this. I called my cell company that day to have the account noted as I was expecting some nice charges, since I used to work in communications. Then when the statement arrived I called and reffered to the notes and the charges were removed.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    I'm well aware of the phone scam - having your call routed through Russia or Romania, etc. In past years, I've even stopped a couple that got sneaked in on me before I realized they were trying to dial out. I still have a phone modem, which I use on the occasions cable is out (rare). I have backup dialup at my office, accessable at home. When I don't need it, the RJ11 stays unplugged - period, although this is more for extra lightning protection (I've got the UPS, but I believe in "belt and suspenders") than for stymeing rogue dialers. What differs this is planting a rogue DLL to wipe out your MSF if you try to eradicate their DLL. Maybe it was just bad coding - but I doubt it.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    i've had loads of dialup's come up on me luckily i don't have a modem took it out for 1 of those reason. ahh broadband!! Fast and Effective

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    I left the modem in. It's just unplugged.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Why don't you tell us where you got the thing tide. So we can avoid the whole thing altogether.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Glad you asked that question. It came off a link from a list of cracker sites that someone posted here a couple of weeks ago. After you posted, I went and tried to look up "www.piratos.com." The page looked legit, at first, like a software company. However, all the links are to other companies - none of their own. It's just a collection of links. It keeps urging you to bookmark the page, and, when you try to leave, it makes repeated attempts to persuade you to set "www.munky.com," which appears to be a search engine. It's a German page and "Pirat" in German is the same as "Pirate" in English, so I guess they're trying to send a message.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123