Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nasty Little Program...

A week or so ago, I DLed a little supposedly cracker search tool called "Piratos." I scanned it; I have Sygate, so it couldn't get out, so I thought "I can always uninstall." Well, when I tried to use it, it tried to dial Germany. I forgot about it for while and then removed it, using Add/Remove. I've always used Cleansweep - had it even way back before Norton bought it - but, for some reason, I used the Win app. The icon and the program seemed to disappear. While searching today, using Cleansweep, for another program that needed uninstalling, I saw the "Piratos" name again. So, I started to remove it using Cleansweep. When it started removing stuff, I saw suddenly that the amount to be removed was about 50 gigs, and I saw "My Shared Folder" start flashing by. I backed out in a hurry and selected "confirm each item." I then tunneled down to find that Piratos had hooked itself to my Shared folder and "Remove all files," and then "Remove folder after empty" had been automatically selected. I know many of you have found yourself trapped in never-ending popups, but this looks like an act of pure vengeance. After I de-selected the Shared Folder dlls, only 4,096KB was left of the program which was supposed to already have been removed. Any other experience out there with these folk?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    YES!! beware the piratos!!!!
    And when it dials germany it is LONG DISTANCE, so don't let it, get rid of this bull-shit cracker people!!! B)

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Well, it did piss me off when it complained in German that no dial tone was available, but to hide a couple of DLLs and try to wipe out my entire Shared Folder goes beyond sticking me with an overseas call.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    sjohnston's Avatar Poster
    Thanks for the warning about this download. I read somewhere that the dialer phones a premium rate telephone number costing 1.50GBP a minute. Surely this practise is illegal, so can these people not be prosecuted?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by sjohnston@23 April 2003 - 22:29
    Thanks for the warning about this download. I read somewhere that the dialer phones a premium rate telephone number costing 1.50GBP a minute. Surely this practise is illegal, so can these people not be prosecuted?
    Programs like this are scams, and the phone company has let some users off the hook. Generally speaking, you are responsible for the charges. If you had a roommate, and he made long distance calls from your telephone, you would be responsible for those calls in a similar manner.
    Proud member of MDS

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I guess the problem is nabbing them and holding them accountable. I guess if it were easy, maybe the same could happen to us. So, it could be a two-edged sword. I haven't had time to go back and research it, but this appears to border on virus-like activity. By that I mean hooking itself to data files and trying to take them with it, particularly when it appeared to be already history itself.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Jibbler, you're correct about the phone, but that's not really what pissed me off. The goddam thing tried to take out MY SHARED FOLDER!!! Fifty GIGs!!! All my stuff!!!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@23 April 2003 - 22:40
    Jibbler, you're correct about the phone, but that's not really what pissed me off. The goddam thing tried to take out MY SHARED FOLDER!!! Fifty GIGs!!! All my stuff!!!
    Tide-keep us up to speed, yes? This is VERY curious-not the dastardly aspect as much as the methodology.......
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Cleansweep actually plays back what it's deleting in a continuous right to left line - in high speed. When I looked up and saw "E:\My Shared Folder" passing by, you can bet I groped for that "cancel" button as fast as I could.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Spybot takes out dialers like this. I would check just to be certain. GL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast