Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP2 rebooting my PC!

Poster
    I just got Adobe Premiere 2.0 and I need SP2 to install it. I've kept this off my system because I've heard lots of complaints about it. Anyway, I install it, everything goes fine. I reboot my PC to finalize the intallation and when it gets to the XP start up screen, I get a BSOD and a reboot. Endless cycle. I have to boot in Safe Mode and use a Sys Restore to reverse the installation of SP2, whereas everything seems to work fine. I need SP2 to work though, how can I fix this?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Do you have all the other critical updates ? Could be a program compatibility issue . Can you get your hands on a slipstream disk and try a upgrade install?
    Not a lot of help on the net is there .

I just reread your post about your virus problem did you do a clean install and try to update?
    Last edited by peat moss; 02-26-2006 at 04:26 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I never reinstalled Windows, but all spyware and any traces of the virus are gone. Keep in mind I went from a year of not updating to suddenly installing SP2, so I'm installing all the updates now
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    i would do a hard reboot

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Ok, installed all critical updates THEN installed SP2. It fucked up, again. Third time now. I had to remove it once again. For christ's sake, I never wanted this crap anyway, but I NEED it to run this installer! Any ideas? How would I go about reinstalling XP?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Slipstream & fresh install.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Slipstream?

I really don't want to have to reinstall XP...Is there nothing easier? Why can't things just WORK!
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    And now after all these updates, 5gb of HD space is gone. I didn't download that much worth of updates!
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    A success story, there was a registry key that needed to be changed from a 1 to a 4. But still, there are close to 5GB missing. How can I retrieve them? I've done a disk clean up and stuff, I think they're a lot of update install files which I need to delete...How can I get this space back?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Vamp , a year without formatting and reinstalling or not updating or installing service packs ? Consider your yourself lucky thats pretty good ,as Zapjb and I suggested try a slipstream clean install you'll be better off . Just backup your pic's and important things and make sure you know what drivers you'll need .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast