Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Should I Upgrade?

and actually, a 1.1ghz athlon is still not too bad for newer video games. i just played all the way through Splinter Cell on a 1.1ghz athlon and a radeon 9000. so if you decide to upgrade your video card later on, your athlon would still be a pretty decent CPU for new-ish games.

anyway, my guess is that you could get at least another year out of your computer, by spending about $150 (or less) on a faster CPU and more RAM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    what's the point of such big hard drives! im using a 18gb hard drive... runs fine...

-- dl from k-lite put in cd -- << delete
    -- have one game on ur computer at once
    -- microsoft products take 400mbs at most
    -- os takes 500mbs at most

-- shouldn&#39;t take up that much space....

go for a better cpu for more speed

and i don&#39;t get why ram is that important... i mean you don&#39;t need such a high one a 128 - 256 is good enough. Just have 1 or 2 programs open at once... not like 10&#33; and you&#39;ll be fine

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    not eactly ...
    i have a classic slot A athlon, 512mb sdram, ti4200

what i do is force windows to load things into ram instead of swap file as far as possible. TweakXP can do that for you ^_^

ram is about a billion times fater than HDD (ok, i&#39;m being extravagant ), but you&#39;ll see a definite performance increase since files are being fetched much much faster. i&#39;m currently thinking of getting another 512 , and try if i can do away with a windows swap file altogether ... lol

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Proccerssor and ram dude, your gfx is fine for a bit

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by RGX@23 April 2003 - 13:41
    Ok compared to most of your computers mine is a spec on the landscape, but at the moment its

AMD Duron 650
    K7VZA Mobo
    256Mb RAM
    64Mb Geforce 4 MX 440
    1 * 3 gig HD
    1 * 10 gig HD
    1* 15 gig HD
    O/S Windows XP pro

At the moment i reckon its the processor thats lagging it up, I have researched my mobo and apparently it can take a maximum of a 1.1 gig Athalon, do you reckon i should upgrade to that, or go for the (gulp) new motherboard and bigger cpu? I really dont have much money to spend, so can you please name me some cheap speedy options?
    I used to like AMD until the Pentium4 came out with their 533mHz side bus speed. Duron is like the Celeron? Crippled L2cache?

An INTEL motherboard and an Intel Pentium4 work together very well. I don&#39;t believe that AMD has their own motherboard (yet). I have this wierd feeling, that intel doesn&#39;t reveal everything about their processors, on purpose, just so they can sell their motherboards (as opposed to the competitor motherboards).

First, get that CPU upgraded (with new motherboard), Then you&#39;ll need a power supply and cabinet to accomidate it.

Next, you&#39;ll need the correct memory for it(get a LOT, atleast 512mb). Then work on getting a bigger hard drive. Finally, the Video is probably the most important at this point. Don&#39;t get a cheap one from last year. Even the best computer will lag with a crappy video card. Your Geforce ain&#39;t shabby, so don&#39;t worry about it, unless you are very much into super 3D video gaming, and Autocad programming and whatever.

Finally, use all the other stuff from the old PC, sound, LAN, modem, etc..... Upgrade those things as needed.

Install Windows XP from an unpartitioned hard drive. Install XP with the NTFS system. It is all around better than FAT32, with quicker defragging and faster file access, less lag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12