Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scottish MPs at Westminster.

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle
    Did the English MPs vote on whether Scotland should have it's own Parliament?
    They did indeed. However that was before the Scottish executive existed and as such before there were any powers devolved to it.

I think the situation is different now. As Scottish MPs have the ability to vote on issues affecting the rest of the UK, whereas other MPs cannot vote on the same issue, as it effects Scotland. Education is a perfect example.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Excellent point RF, re the majority in the house sans the Scottish Labour MPs. I hadn't thought of it in that way.

Do you think the political affiliation outweighs the argument. Bearing in mind that this is only for those things which have been devolved to the Scottish Executive.

Morally... no, they should not.

Labour has no Mandate to govern in "England", just for the whole of the UK.

Practically though, thank god they are there sometimes...

What i DO object to, is when they vote to support the Government for something in England, which has already been rejected in Scotland or vis-versa.

I support some of the things that the Scottish Executive have done which goes against what the Labour Government wants.

Example:
    Mr. Blair was only able to drive up university top-up fees through the House of Commons because of the votes of MPs from Scotland. Those top-up fees applied to England, not Scotland. Yet Scottish Students dont pay a Contribution to their Fees if they study in Scotland..... so voting to bring the Fees into play in England was Hypocracy of the worst kind by those Scottish MPs.

I used that particular example as Welsh Students studying in Wales dont pay the Top Up fee, so it was also Hypocritical of Welsh MPs.

Result: The English people didnt want them, the English MPs voted against them... but we got lumbered with them anyway, which is the result Blair (spit) wanted.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 03-13-2006 at 09:17 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Excellent point RF, re the majority in the house sans the Scottish Labour MPs. I hadn't thought of it in that way.

Do you think the political affiliation outweighs the argument. Bearing in mind that this is only for those things which have been devolved to the Scottish Executive.

What i DO object to, is when they vote to support the Government for something in England, which has already been rejected in Scotland or vis-versa.

I support some of the things that the Scottish Executive have done which goes against what the Labour Government wants.

Example:
    Mr. Blair was only able to drive up university top-up fees through the House of Commons because of the votes of MPs from Scotland. Those top-up fees applied to England, not Scotland. Yet Scottish Students dont pay a Contribution to their Fees if they study in Scotland..... so voting to bring the Fees into play in England was Hypocracy of the worst kind by those Scottish MPs.
    Exactly my point. It's morally reprehensible of them to reject something in Scotland, but toe the party line in England.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced

Example:
    Exactly my point. It's morally reprehensible of them to reject something in Scotland, but toe the party line in England.

One would almost think they were looking after their own personal best interests in both jurisdictions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12