Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it still safe?

suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Is it still safe to update windows with a (iilegal) key?
    because im hearing stuff, im thinking about downloading that release of corporate with all updates until feb thats out on tb but is it still safe?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Yes, I dont see why not.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafreak6
    because im hearing stuff
    I hear "stuff" every day.....
    be more specific, what exactly are you hearing?
    have you checked the sources of said hearings?

is it all in your mind?
    do the voices ever shut up?
    more importantly...do you reply to the voices?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    oh i have no trust in my sources (because they were mostly comments on torrents) hahah and the news...psh f*** news

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by fkdup74
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafreak6
    because im hearing stuff
    I hear "stuff" every day.....
    be more specific, what exactly are you hearing?
    have you checked the sources of said hearings?

is it all in your mind?
    do the voices ever shut up?
    more importantly...do you reply to the voices?

lol ownage...
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lolf.

As far as I know they can't track you when you update, not to such a specific degree they can tell if your particular key was valid, anyhow.

When activating windows I think your key gets checked by their server, but even then I don't think they track illegal keys.

As for updating with an illegal key, I think the key gets checked locally if you use windows update, and not at all if you do automatic updates, as the key has already been declared valid when you installed windows.

That's how I understand it, anyhow.
    My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian woman named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Can't help but think of that movie Marathon Man (Evil Dentist ) is it safe ?

I would n't worry about it myself and theres the old disable Manage Add on's trick. As Tu quoque, says just enable Auto Updates .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tu quoque
    lolf.

As far as I know they can't track you when you update, not to such a specific degree they can tell if your particular key was valid, anyhow.

When activating windows I think your key gets checked by their server, but even then I don't think they track illegal keys.

As for updating with an illegal key, I think the key gets checked locally if you use windows update, and not at all if you do automatic updates, as the key has already been declared valid when you installed windows.

i did a project for my high school once and we were putting windows 2000 on all the woodshop computers and we all used the same cd key...would microsoft get pissed about 30 computers with the same cd key we got off the internet?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Disable manage add on's trick no longer works after downloading the latest windows update

this file fixes the problem

ed2k link
    Windows Genuine Advantage Validation v1.5.512.0

I tried to post it in the verified section, but its all gone complicated since I last posted verifieds

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cashvillecrush
    Quote Originally Posted by Tu quoque
    lolf.

i did a project for my high school once and we were putting windows 2000 on all the woodshop computers and we all used the same cd key...would microsoft get pissed about 30 computers with the same cd key we got off the internet?
    Well, I'm assuming it's illegal if you got it off the internet, so they'd be pissed.

If they knew, that is, but they'd need to keep track of keys in another way than they do, I think, for them to be able to figure it out.

With win2k I don't think there's any matching of key and hardware-ID either, and since you prolly connected to the internet through a common gateway, I wonder if they'd even notice that it was thirty different computers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast