Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The best British county

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

- I vaguely remember that argument, something about Pennycomequick being an ancient Welsh settlement.
    Yeah, I think I got pwned by Billy
    You'll have to narrow it down more than that.

2. Lounge   -   #102
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Yeah, I think I got pwned by Billy
    Feck awf

Billy (as decaftar) said that 'Pennycomequick' was a Welsh word, I said feck off, Billy said nothing but then Chebus googled and found that on some obscure etymology site, 'Pennycome' is Welsh for 'head of the valley'.

Chebus

The thread has now been deleted - presumably because it sullied my reputation
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #103
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    If I might throw my tuppence in

"Celtic" is a convenient short hand for the Western peoples of Europe - the Galcians, Bretons, Cornish, Irish, Scots and Welsh. Recent DNA studies have suggested a common ancestory that is remarkably old for this area and these people.

The La Tene iron age culture of central Europe encapsulates a very particular artistic and cultural style which is certainly picked up in "Celtic" work of the same period. However, this does not mean that these Western areas were colonised by the La Tene culture people. The evidence is to the contrary and it is now generally considered that the builders of the stone megaliths and burial tombs like Maeshowe and Newgrange went on uninterupted to become the "Celtic" peoples of the Western fringes who traded and interacted with mainland Europe. Irish mythology talks about the Dana coming from Galacia to Ireland and it seems probable that the peoples that settled these areas after the ice age were from very old European stock. Europe was subject to many ravages and movements of people. The Western fringes became the last outpost of La Tene art and culture and many would argue defined it, making it their own.

The term Celts was coined by the ancient Greeks and is unlikely to be a term these people used themselves. The Romans called the Caledonians Picts but records suggest they called themselves the Cruithne or the Prydyn (where Briton comes from)

Least that is my view
    Last edited by Biggles; 03-08-2006 at 08:28 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. Lounge   -   #104
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Feck awf

Billy (as decaftar) said that 'Pennycomequick' was a Welsh word, I said feck off, Billy said nothing but then Chebus googled and found that on some obscure etymology site, 'Pennycome' is Welsh for 'head of the valley'.

Chebus

The thread has now been deleted - presumably because it sullied my reputation
    I find that Google is better for searching for older threads, don't tell Skizo I said that though.
    Last edited by Cheese; 03-08-2006 at 08:30 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    If I might throw my tuppence in

"Celtic" is a convenient short hand for the Western peoples of Europe - the Galcians, Bretons, Cornish, Irish, Scots and Welsh. Recent DNA studies have suggested a common ancestory that is remarkably old for this area and these people.

The La Tene iron age culture of central Europe encapsulates a very particular artistic and cultural style which is certainly picked up in "Celtic" work of the same period. However, this does not mean that these Western areas were colonised by the La Tene culture people. The evidence is to the contrary and it is now generally considered that the builders of the stone megaliths and burial tombs like Maeshowe and Newgrange went on uninterupted to become the "Celtic" peoples of the Western fringes who traded and interacted with mainland Europe. Irish mythology talks about the Dana coming from Galacia to Ireland and it seems probable that the peoples that settled these areas after the ice age were from very old European stock. Europe was subject to many ravages and movements of people. The Western fringes became the last outpost of La Tene art and culture and many would argue defined it, making it their own.

The term Celts was coined by the ancient Greeks and is unlikely to be a term these people used themselves. The Romans called the Caledonians Picts but records suggest they called themselves the Cruithne or the Prydyn (where Briton comes from)

Least that is my view

Having read that with great interest - who's right.

6. Lounge   -   #106
    Quote Originally Posted by meirionwyllt
    (and every Scottish and Irish person I've met) hate the establishment and really don't want anything to do with it, or its monarchy (but that's another story).
    I don't know about the rest of your post, but I suspect you have been rather selective in the Scottish and Irish people you have spoken to with regard to whether we hate the "establishment", or it's "monarchy".

Taking the North of Ireland as an example, I think it's true to say that the majority of the population are loyalists / monarchist. Hence the Government they select for themselves, both as their Westminster MPs and in their Assembly.

Neither have I been aware any great upsurge in calls for independance or republicanism in Scotland. However you may be more aware of that than I.

Fair point indeed. But I sense that independence is an issue that one either passionately supports, or is largely indifferent towards (or quietly against).

Generally only nationalists will feel passionate enough about independence to talk about the issue socially. I can't imagine two non-nationalists saying to each other "Oh I'm glad that we are a part of the UK - wouldn't want it any other way". Although that is what they're thinking, they won't bother saying it because people generally only talk politics if there's something they're not happy with (myself included). I assume that you are against independence (I respect your opinion 100%), so I doubt that you spend much time talking about it because that's the status quo, and for that reason perhaps you are less likely to come accross those that are in favour of independence. On the other hand, I do feel passionately in favour of it, and talk to a lot of people about it, and more often that not, people agree with me. I must re-assert that this happens a lot in Scotland and Ireland too, probably since they are in a similar situation.

But another reason for our difference in findings may be due to the simple fact that we generally spend our time conversing with those that are like-minded to ourselves, so it's natural that our friends will have similar opinion to us.

7. Lounge   -   #107
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Irish mythology talks about the Dana coming from Galactica to Ireland
    Fantastic, I bet if Starbuck put her mind to it, she could spawn an entire race from a relatively small gene pool.

Just kidding. Good post, Les. I think we're in agreement
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

8. Lounge   -   #108
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    should i read this entire thread in order to find a reason to post?
    yes?
    r
    No?

9. Lounge   -   #109
    Quote Originally Posted by meirionwyllt
    I don't know about the rest of your post, but I suspect you have been rather selective in the Scottish and Irish people you have spoken to with regard to whether we hate the "establishment", or it's "monarchy".

Taking the North of Ireland as an example, I think it's true to say that the majority of the population are loyalists / monarchist. Hence the Government they select for themselves, both as their Westminster MPs and in their Assembly.

Neither have I been aware any great upsurge in calls for independance or republicanism in Scotland. However you may be more aware of that than I.

Fair point indeed. But I sense that independence is an issue that one either passionately supports, or is largely indifferent towards (or quietly against).

Generally only nationalists will feel passionate enough about independence to talk about the issue socially. I can't imagine two non-nationalists saying to each other "Oh I'm glad that we are a part of the UK - wouldn't want it any other way". Although that is what they're thinking, they won't bother saying it because people generally only talk politics if there's something they're not happy with (myself included). I assume that you are against independence (I respect your opinion 100%), so I doubt that you spend much time talking about it because that's the status quo, and for that reason perhaps you are less likely to come accross those that are in favour of independence. On the other hand, I do feel passionately in favour of it, and talk to a lot of people about it, and more often that not, people agree with me. I must re-assert that this happens a lot in Scotland and Ireland too, probably since they are in a similar situation.

But another reason for our difference in findings may be due to the simple fact that we generally spend our time conversing with those that are like-minded to ourselves, so it's natural that our friends will have similar opinion to us.

I think you will find, certainly for Ireland, that remaining part of the UK is a subject dear to the hearts of a great many of it's citizens. For another part of it's population leaving it is just as great an issue. Indeed I would suggest that it is by far the most important issue, in political terms. Let's face it, thats what their elections, for both Westminster and Stormont, are based upon.

With regard to my own position, I am currently not really that fussed with regard to further independence. Devolution suits me for now. I think that is the case for the majority of Scots. However I am totally against the monarchy, or indeed anything else which is not elected.

I suspect our findings differ because I am a Scot, living and working in Scotland and visiting Ireland as part of my work. You on the other hand are a Welsh chap. I couldn't possibly comment on what percentage of the Welsh speaking population seek independance. Maybe that's the culturally important point here, Welsh speakers have been brought up a certain way. Englishmen born in Wales, like manker, haven't
    Last edited by JPaul; 03-08-2006 at 08:51 PM.

10. Lounge   -   #110
    manker's Avatar effendi
    /leaves forum

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast