Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matisyahu

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Me and a buddy have adopted the term "The Rappin Rabbi" for him.

yo

2. Music   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Has anyone heard or seen this guy? He's great! I don't really like reggae music, but this guy has a style all his own.

I think it's he's also interesting to watch as he appears to be a white guy, and has a look as if he's amish or a rabi, though I actually think he's a shi'i. Anyways, if you're interested here's a video of him here in Austin performing a kick ass song that just gets better and faster as it goes. Great performer!

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/Mat...ownVidFull.mov
    I've listened to his album (haven't clicked the link yet) and he does not have style his own. It is not Jewish reggae.

It's just reggae...reggae music.

He sounds shit but his music is top notch for reggae....very top notch.

He sounds just like a white guy trying to do a Caribbean "patwa" and it fucks with my ears.

Besides the great music, he has the hype mobile behind him 'cause he's doing reggae. It makes it newsworthy and helps drive sales. People that normally don't listen to reggae will deem his a album a "must have".

I even like the writing but just wish someone else was rapping/singing.

Weird he doesn't shake women's hands.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Music   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    It is so Jewish reggae - which to me makes it a style all his own. Who else does it?

All of his lyrics relate back to his religious beliefs. He believes this is his was of spreading the word of God.

Just click the link.
    Last edited by Skizo; 03-16-2006 at 03:25 AM.

yo

4. Music   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    It is so Jewish reggae - which to me makes it a style all his own. Who else does it?

All of his lyrics relate back to his religious beliefs. He believes this is his was of spreading the word of God.

Just click the link.
    Style and words are too separate things, mang.

A person can have lyrics that relate to Buddha (which they have done ) but it won't make it Buddhist reggae in style.

It's like there's rap and material rap (rapping about your bling and things).

edit: my bad I'm thinking from a music standpoint only. It's like when people have Christian rap.

The style of music is not new. The subject matter is.

Matisyahu would be a little more unique to me if somehow his music was a slightly different take on reggae and not just talking about his faith over reggae music.

Again, it's mainly the fact he is white and Jewish that creates the hype. Good music puts him over the top.

It's same thing tht helped Eminem. He is but he is also talented.

Talented minority within a majority.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-16-2006 at 05:38 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Music   -   #15
    Ewan01101's Avatar CrackerJack
    Hi . Matisyahu is Jewish, american born and raised in brooklyn if I remember correctly. I got to see him when he came here and although I expected something completely different (expected to be disappointed and bored), he's one heck of a performer.
    Is you is, or Is you ain't, my Lady?

6. Music   -   #16
    I always separate performances from albums.

Good performances don't = good albums

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Music   -   #17
    If he wasn't Jewish their wouldn'y really be any hype imo... I really like his stuff though. and yes, if there can be a genre 'Christian Rap' there can be 'Jewish Rap/reggae'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12