Thread: download speed

Question Mark

hi i use azureus mainly for downloading movies it takes about 24 hours at least to download 1 film sometimes even a few days is this quite fast or is it possible to make it faster and how???also when my download is done it goes to the bottom of the azureus page and starts seeding if thats what you call it?i usually remove it is this correct or should i leave it there and for how long?thank you

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    n00b
    Well you need to be more specific about what speeds you are getting. You say 24hours/film, is that 700mb avi, 1.4GB avi, 4.35GB DVDRip?
    Anyway, compare your Download speeds to a speed report test online. With utorrent I max out my Download constantly, but that only happens to be 150KB/s because I only have DSL.
    Anyway, too make it faster so that it will be close or at your max, forward ports on your router, turn off any firewalls or let azureeus through.
    Also make sure you have a good ratio, in other words, make sure you upload at least as much as you download, as some trackers will give you shite speeds for a low ratio.
    As for seeding, it's up to you, as long as you have a 1:1 ratio or more, uploading as much as you are downloading,you don't really have to seed. But it is good manners to seed for 24hours or more.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    berserk1980's Avatar BERSERK BT Rep: +4
    i always dl a movie for days. it is normal for dvdr(not hot torrent)

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    hi again i'm downoading a 795.96mb film the download speed is (at its) highest 60kbs and upload speed of 20kbs i set it to that myself as recommended on one of the threads is this fast or slow?i tryed to port forward i dunno if i done that right?i went into my control panel>security centre>windows firewall>add port???tryed to follow the instructions on port forwarding but it was so confusing so...please give me advice if you can thank you

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    n00b
    Port forwarding is somthing you do with your router or cable modem w/ a router.
    If you are using either, you have to go to the settings for your router, go to "port fowarding" type in the port for your bittorrent client (should say somwhere in options).
    Anyway this is a simple process but can have many variations, here is a website w/ a guide on how to port forward:
    http://portforward.com/english/route...outerindex.htm

As for windows firewall, i just have it off so i don't know how to enter your BT client as an exception. As far as I know firewalls just hinder filesharing. If your that gung ho about speed, just turn off your firewalls, at least IMHO.
    Last edited by limbeck6; 03-06-2006 at 09:17 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6

Surprised/Amazed

i have no idea how to find my router i am with blueyonder and have a motorola surfboard SB4100 cable modem??? :-/

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    LvrPool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    my movie dl's usually take 1-2 days.

40Mbit DL / 10Mbit UL

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I can get a well-seeded in in 3-4 hours.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    you should keep seeding it so others an download the file too