Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Failure of Feminism?

Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    When you turn on the tv or open a magazine i still see the same sexist sterotypes being played off
    I don't know when feminism was unearthed but it seems to make little progress than outside of the home.
    Last night i turn on tv and switch from CNN showing usaian oscars and asking the chikas where the got their cleavage dresses and flipped over to some reality gogo thing about girls getting into sportsil0strated.
    Around me men still rule the basics, the entrepeneurs who make it still are men, the womenare yes doing so much beeter beeter, aand yes they are more intelligent, more knowledgable and should in utopian dreams rule the world but when it comes to making impulsive decisions which count - they fail
    objectivity?

thread inspired from this article - http://chronicle.com/temp/email2.php...tfR4qnjmpj85xm

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    I think (my opinion), that they dont try hard enough to change their image. Or, if they are trying, they're not being heard. I mean, honestly, when watching survivior or fear factor, I'm staring the the breasts when they wear bikinis and shit.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    feminism is killed by easy money? (pose)
    we all try in life to get through the work, bills, taxes etc
    money kills alot of principles
    Last edited by 15%; 03-06-2006 at 09:25 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    feminism is killed by easy money? (pose)
    we all try in life to get through the work, bills, taxes etc
    money kills alot of principles
    I didn't mean that that money is killing them( it might be?), I'm trying to explain that the first thing I see in a women is breasts. I dont know why. But, I do believe that they shouldn't be treated like that. I cant explain myself. It's hard to exlpain.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    feminism died out in the last generation cause the feminists refused to get on their knees for the men

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er

I n s t i n c t

hungre, lust,need
    vs
    buddishm
    vs
    taxevasion
    vs
    parlementary fears of releaving yourself
    vs
    western sales techniques
    via
    ads

in real life i see little glimpses of the sexist, nor of dominant - neither of the contrary
    but
    in real life she knows more and is more aware than the man, yet the man knows how to take control, instantly
    you cant beat that
    but it would require men to aquire a new digestive system to understand the concept of swallowing spite.
    I apologise for focusing on the negative, but presently i am taking care of a 6 month year old baby,and show him life, while she goes off to work in suit and efficiency and all at 7 am and questions my achievements after a days work with our little baby.
    I love the baby
    I love her

i will do anything for both

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Zed, what you describe isn't feminism, it's a female in pants.

The alternative is you hire day-care (don't you dare!) or she stays with the kid and you work.

Tell her to mind her Ps and Qs or you'll kick her in the balls.

Maybe you could exercise your rights by taking the kid and filing for child support...like the girls do.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I don't think feminism has failed so much as evolved. The early proto-type involved hairy armpits and dungarees and in many respects was a distraction from genuine issues of the vote, equal pay, maternity rights, sexism in the work place, harrassment, property rights etc., etc.,

The world has moved on a long way from a wife being little more than a chattel and any property she owned becoming her husbands. In less than 100 years an awful lot has changed and thankfully it doesn't particularly need to involve dungarees.

Sex and the use of sex to sell products is unlikely to change as it panders to fairly primal instincts. It is route one for the advertisers (to borrow from football). However, just compare modern adverts to ones from the 40s 50s and 60s. These might demonstrate how far things have moved on. I guarantee they will make you cringe.

What is far more prevalent today is sexuality in advertising rather than pure sexist nonsense. Some would argue that this is more insidious - perhaps so, it is certainly more demanding. One could potentially be the perfect housewife if one bought Fairy - it is bloody sight harder to look like Halle Berry.

Of course modern feminists point out that there are still inequalities of opportunity. How one looks is also still a significant factor. However, this is something that is becoming increasingly important to males too. In that sense a degree of equality is developing - although it may be equality of misery.

In summary, Feminism is a work in progress and moves by small degrees rather than big leaps.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I don't think feminism has failed so much as evolved. The early proto-type involved hairy armpits and dungarees and in many respects was a distraction from genuine issues of the vote, equal pay, maternity rights, sexism in the work place, harrassment, property rights etc., etc.,

The world has moved on a long way from a wife being little more than a chattel and any property she owned becoming her husbands. In less than 100 years an awful lot has changed and thankfully it doesn't particularly need to involve dungarees.

Sex and the use of sex to sell products is unlikely to change as it panders to fairly primal instincts. It is route one for the advertisers (to borrow from football). However, just compare modern adverts to ones from the 40s 50s and 60s. These might demonstrate how far things have moved on. I guarantee they will make you cringe.

What is far more prevalent today is sexuality in advertising rather than pure sexist nonsense. Some would argue that this is more insidious - perhaps so, it is certainly more demanding. One could potentially be the perfect housewife if one bought Fairy - it is bloody sight harder to look like Halle Berry.

Of course modern feminists point out that there are still inequalities of opportunity. How one looks is also still a significant factor. However, this is something that is becoming increasingly important to males too. In that sense a degree of equality is developing - although it may be equality of misery.

In summary, Feminism is a work in progress and moves by small degrees rather than big leaps.
    So, feminism is in it's, um...infancy, so to speak?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Just how conservatives like their women to act.

edit: i'll get the video link sorted

edit 2: can't get a direct link working, here is the address

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/08/09.html

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Han...rine-Booty.wmv type into media player

How does this play with your "stereotype" theory kev ?

I wonder what the "family values" brigade made of it
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-08-2006 at 02:01 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast