Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloading Music Is Not Iliegal

BANNED
    Im uner the belief that downloading music is not ilegel what is actully happening is we are only downloading data which are MP3s Napster were sued millions of dollars becuase Metallica were the first artist to put MP3s on the net which means they own the copyright which means that it is only ilegal to download mp3s of metallica and it is legal for the rest RIAA can stick it up their ass they didnt invent MP3s and HEY why did they soon forget about tapes before CDs were invented?

2. Music   -   #2
    I can't really be bothered going into all the ways that your beliefs are crazy, but here's a start, taken from the first couple of websites i found on the subject.

Step 3: So What Is Illegal?

What is illegal is the distribution of copywritten material, which is quite abundant within the MP3 community. So long as the copyright holder of the music has given permission to distribute that music in the mp3 format, then those files are legal for all to use. The reality is that there are plenty of sites out there that offer music that has not been authorized for distribution by the artist or by the label.
    and

Fraunhofer received a patent in April 1989 for MP3 in Germany and in 1992 Fraunhofer’s algorithm was integrated in MPEG-1 for which the specification was published in 1993.

1994 MPEG-2 and its specification was published the following year in 1995.

January 26th, 1995 saw Fraunhofer apply for the patent of MP3 in the USA and was granted it on November 26th, 1996.

September 1998 Fraunhofer contacted independent developers of MP3 encoders (rippers) and decoders (players) that were based on the ISO source code. Fraunhofer had patent protection on the algorithm they were using and developers who wanted to develop their software applications further would have to apply to Fraunhofer for licence.
    The mp3 format has nothing to do with Metallica. They caused a commotion when they had huge printed lists of users that were sharing their music on napster and got the lawyers involved. Whether Metallica were the first artists to put mp3's of their music on the net (which i really doubt), is irrelevant.

Some sites say mp3's are ok to download and keep for 24 hours, at least thats what the sites used to say about 4 years ago when. I'm pretty sure that's not true either though, it's defintely a grey area at least. And when you pay for a subcription mp3 service i'm sure that it is only legal for you to use those mp3's, not to share them with others.

I'm no lawyer, and i may have been wrong with some of the stuff i quoted, but basically if what you said was true then no-one would be worried about sharing and downloading music. and a lot of people are to some extent.

The reality is, most of us here are :pirate: 's and the RIAA would like to us all, apart from me of course, because i'm an o and would never do bad things.

3. Music   -   #3
    Poster
    The reality is, most of us here are  :pirate: 's and the RIAA would like to    us all, apart from me of course, because i'm an o  and would never do bad things.
    nice emoticon use

4. Music   -   #4
    Originally posted by adthomp@24 April 2003 - 09:16
    Im uner the belief that downloading music is not ilegel what is actully happening is we are only downloading data which are MP3s Napster were sued millions of dollars becuase Metallica were the first artist to put MP3s on the net which means they own the copyright which means that it is only ilegal to download mp3s of metallica and it is legal for the rest RIAA can stick it up their ass they didnt invent MP3s and HEY why did they soon forget about tapes before CDs were invented?
    That made absolutely no sense.
    -The data you are downloading is copyrighted music.
    -Napster was not sued because metallica was the 1st band to put music on the internet. Napster was sued because its advertising made it very clear it could be used for copyright infringement.
    -Metallica does not have a copyright on putting music on the internet. You can't copyright putting music on the internet.
    -RIAA does not care if you have MP3s on your computer. They care if its copyrighted material. THey dont care if its MP3, Ogg, WAV, or WMA.

5. Music   -   #5
    Originally posted by adthomp@24 April 2003 - 08:16
    erm.. metallica didnt put the mp3s on the net... fans did which violates copyright laws

sorry to piss on your bonfire

6. Music   -   #6
    Admit you are a sinner now before it is too late.What you do and what we all do is sinfull.But by sharing Music with your comman Man instead of Movies you shall be awarded in the end my brother. o

7. Music   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Originally posted by the faceman
    I can't really be bothered going into all the ways that your beliefs are crazy

sorry i could just not bring myself to read the rest of the thread after this.

8. Music   -   #8
    Yo Dowloading music is illegal as shit unless your paying for it. Call the SPA and ask them.

9. Music   -   #9
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by MusicWorld@24 April 2003 - 13:39
    Admit you are a sinner now before it is too late.What you do and what we all do is sinfull.But by sharing Music with your comman Man instead of Movies you shall be awarded in the end my brother. o
    B) I'm a sinner. Come leech my files.
    Proud member of MDS

10. Music   -   #10
    Originally posted by Jibbler+25 April 2003 - 02:49--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 25 April 2003 - 02:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MusicWorld@24 April 2003 - 13:39
    B) I&#39;m a sinner. Come leech my files. [/b][/quote]
    o We are all sinners my brother.TY for admitting it. o

adthomp is still in denile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast