Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying An External Hard Drive Best Maker

Poster
    okay so monday im going out to buy a 300-400gb hard drive. is western digital the best hard drive manufaturer. or there are others better. My budget is 400-500$CAD

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    I have an usb maxtor and I'm happy with it. The only thing I regret is I did not get the model with a network connector. With the network connector, you can plug it into a router which allow all computers on the router to have access.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    why dont u buy 4 harddrive enclosures and 4 200 gig harddrives and daisy them up, it would cost you that same amount

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I've seen 2 WD drives go bad - loud click then no access until system unplugged for a few minutes.
    I have been using Maxtor drives for about 8 years now and my 200G seems to be playing up - clicks like a car's indicator and no access until drive power cut & reconnected.
    That's not to say that either WD or Maxtor don't make good drives, because I rarely see faulty ones of any make and they sell huge quantities.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    A buddy of mine is using a 200GB Seagate USB external that he seems pretty happy with. I've had a bit of experience with that drive myself as well, the only downfall I've seen with a USB external drive is that they don't defrag with Diskeeper...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    Yea i would also reccomend getting a HDD off of newegg with whatever size you want and getting an enclosure for it. It will save you some money.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=43

Theres a link to some enclosures.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I was going to do that until i saw this http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=223 > And Now I want To Get That lol <

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    I have an usb maxtor and I'm happy with it. The only thing I regret is I did not get the model with a network connector. With the network connector, you can plug it into a router which allow all computers on the router to have access.
    when the drive has been newly formatted, create a folder. save all your stuff in this folder, right click on folder, then on sharing and enable sharing for everyone on the network. is what i do so everyone on my network can access my music folder.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    I've seen 2 WD drives go bad - loud click then no access until system unplugged for a few minutes.
    I have been using Maxtor drives for about 8 years now and my 200G seems to be playing up - clicks like a car's indicator and no access until drive power cut & reconnected.
    That's not to say that either WD or Maxtor don't make good drives, because I rarely see faulty ones of any make and they sell huge quantities.

loud click, i here ya man...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    I use Seagate and they rarely go bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast