Thread: ISP's Throttling Connection To P2P

Does anyone know how to get round the problem of ISP's throttling connections to P2P networks (for me it's between the hours of 6pm-11pm)(GMT), i'm not that bothered about losing download time, it's more annoying that i'm losing 5 hours uploading time.

I am with a well know ISP, was only with them for 2 days before i realised
    what they were doing.....i dont know that much about ports (ive been told
    that opening certain ports can beat the ISP detection of P2P)...so any help
    in this matter would be appreciated.

I am using uTorrent 1.4.2 beta, any advice on possible settings to stick it up to my ISP would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    n00b
    Turn on protocol encryption in options.
    The client/version you are using is only 1 of 2 that have protocol encryption it's new, and thats exactly what it's for, to get around packet shapping.
    However because it's new, untill more and more people turn it on, the speeds might not go completey back to normal, but be patient, and right now encryption is the only way.
    Last edited by limbeck6; 03-08-2006 at 04:08 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    I am using uTorrent 1.4 (the stable version, not the beta) and I cannot see a protocol encryptions choice in Preferences. Is it only available in the beta versions?

Also, I heard something about setting your port to the number used for teleconferencing calls. Does that work? If so, does anyone know the port number?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    n00b
    [QUOTE=jaz1]I am using uTorrent 1.4 (the stable version, not the beta) and I cannot see a protocol encryptions choice in Preferences. Is it only available in the beta versions?[QUOTE]
    Ya, only the beta of utorrent.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    They just released stable version 1.5 with protocol encryption yesterday.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Don't use the typical port range of 6881-6889.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkat
    Don't use the typical port range of 6881-6889.
    This will also slow your overall download speed on some trackers because these ports get blacklisted.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Download utorrent 1.5 then go to options-preferences-network and enable protocol encryption.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    uT 1.5 is out no longer in beta eather. azucrapyclient has the encryption as well if ur a fan of that client.