Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anger Management

imported_stg1123
    Ok everyone, I'm still waiting for my adsl to come back (we moved house) and I am struggling without believe me but here now to the point of this topic. A friend of mine received a letter from the "abuse" dept. of our isp saying she had been a naughty girl. I told to her to write to them it miust have been a mistake. Heres what she wrote;

i have absolutely no idea what this letter is about.  all i use my computer for is to download movies from kazaa and keep in touch with my family and friends.  i am a 25 yr old mother or 3 girls.  i have had nothing to do with anything illegal.
    OK so far right....So here is the reply she got back, in the form of the original letter that they had received about her in complaint!

RE:  Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Motion Picture Entitled
        Anger Management

Dear Netvision NOC team:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Columbia Pictures Industries Inc., ("Columbia Pictures").

As you may know, Columbia Pictures is the owner of copyright and exclusive distribution rights in and to the motion picture entitled Anger Management.

No one is authorized to perform, exhibit, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise distribute the above-mentioned work without the express written permission of Columbia Pictures, which permission Columbia Pictures has not granted to 212.0.0.9.

We have received information that an individual has utilized the above-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of the above-mentioned work through a "peer-to-peer" service.

The attached documentation specifies the location on your network where the infringement occurred, the number of repeat violations recorded at this specific location, as well as any available identifying information.

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted motion pictures constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3).  This conduct may also violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.

Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the following:

1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct described above; and
    2) Terminate any and all accounts that this individual has through you.

On behalf of Columbia Pictures, owner of the exclusive rights to the copyrighted material at issue in this notice, we hereby state that we have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by Columbia Pictures, its respective agents, or the law.

We also hereby state that we believe the information in this notification is accurate, and, under penalty of perjury, that MediaForce is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in this notification.

Please contact us at the above listed address or by replying to this email should you have any questions.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this matter.  In your future correspondence with us, please refer to Case ID 6*%$#7.

Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
    Director of Enforcement
    MediaForce, Inc.
    (212) 925-9997

------------------------------
    Infringement Detail:
    Infringing Work: Anger Management
    Filename: Anger Management.avi
    First Found: 16 Apr 2003 06:29:1 EDT (GMT -0400)
    Last Found: 16 Apr 2003 06:29:1 EDT (GMT -0400)
    Filesize: 717,508k
    IP Address: 212.0.0.9
    IP Port: 1214 
    Network: KaZaA
    Protocol: FastTrack
    Username: BLAH@kazaa
    These guys are taking this seriously man what ever next, they must be crawlingthe web sending millions of these letters at the mo, ooops, kinda makes me wanna stop sharing which is NOT good.

All comments gratefully welcome in this topic :

(names and numbers have been changed)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    TRshady
    damn, thats not good. Its good there giving you a chance to stop. That would scare the shit out of me and I would stop using kazaa, or at least for a while.

Do you have a firewall?, if not you should of had one like zonealarm which hides your ip. Lets see what others think but I think you should stop using kazaa for a while or things could get bad.

btw, downloading movies is illegal and telling them that doesn't help.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Your friend should download PeerGuardian and have it running when she uses Kazaa then. There've been countless accounts of people getting letters from their ISPs, probably most notably Verizon and BT...and for the most part they're sent to people who are uploading popular films. I haven't seen one about people uploading music or software yet, however.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    imported_stg1123
    The reason why I posted this was not for advice although I appreciate your thoughts. I posted this because here is an original letter from a company who were hired by the film production company to basically spend all day hopping nodes and recording the ip's of users sharing the file. This is a new dawn of filesharing and I don't know whats going to come of it. To be truly honest I will be very surprised if the industry releases next years best films on DVD Screeners for the academy people, after what happened last year I have a feeling things are going to change and we are going to have to wait for the first country to release it as a dvd before itll be shared as a dvd rip. But that is just my thought, I see that isp's are causing trouble for uploading certain films but here is the source for it and I am sure things are going to change around here soon.
    Any thoughts?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    That's been a pretty hard file to get, at least a decent, non-cam copy of it. Does she do FTP?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'm sorry but IMO 99.99% of these they got me letters are BS. TSIF BS

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    imported_stg1123
    Ok I accept your humble opinion Mr. Board moderator whoever you are but this is clearly a real letter and a real situation that is going on here. Why don't you call up the number at the bottom of the letter and discuss it with them,

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I wasn't Being humble. lol. They are a lot of firestarters out there IMO (no H)

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    imported_stg1123
    Ok I agree with you on that but that has nothing to do with the fact that the firestarters in this instance are Columbia Pictures themselves, I mean its very cute what they are doing, they are using kazaa to try and get us cut off from our isp's. What is this world coming to I ask you when all we want to do is a little bit of illegal sharing of films that haven't even been released in the cinema of certain countries. I mean it's not like were taking business away from them or something! LMAO

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Just 1 quick question. If I use a SOCKS5 proxy and someone tries to find my IP with the Datview program, will they see my IP or my proxy's IP?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast