Thread: Upgrading from one hd to another

Im using Norton Ghost to copy my main hd to another larger one. My main one is about half way full (its 160 GB). And I wanted to upgrade to a 300 GB. I wanted to know how long this should take. Its been going for a little over 2 and a half hours and its 29% done.
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 03-13-2006 at 02:08 AM.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I did exactly the same yesterday, system partition only, took about 6 minutes for 10GB.

After upgrading the system (new mobo installation) I copied it back to the original Maxtor drive, and for some reason that took 54 minutes. I've fully tested the drive and can't find a fault but I've now switched to another drive and the copy to this third drive again took about 6 minutes.

Obviously, the more fragmented the data the longer it takes, but over 8 hours for 160GB is ridiculous. Sounds like a similar problem to the one I had, I wonder if it is anything to do with on-drive caching.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy
    Im using Norton Ghost to copy my main hd to another larger one. My main one is about half way full (its 160 GB). And I wanted to upgrade to a 300 GB. I wanted to know how long this should take. Its been going for a little over 2 and a half hours and its 29% done.
    Can't answer your question but why aren't you putting the 300gb drive on as a slave?