Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Computer making funny sounds

  1. #1
    My computer has been making funny sounds lately. It like starts making a moaning kinda sound. Is this bad??

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,883
    Normally that sound would be associated with a cooling fan failing.

    You can open the case, then turn the machine on and listen/observe.

    If you're brave you can go a step further.
    Make sure you 'ground' yourself on the metal frame of the case before you stick any part of yourself inside a computer.
    With the machine switched off, you could put your finger (or a pencil) on the CPU cooling fan so it doesn't start to spin when you turn the machine on, then release it a second (don't wait more than that) after turning on the power. If the noise starts when you release the fan, then that needs replacing.

    Some computers have a cooling fan on the motherboard chipset and/or graphics card. Test using the same method.

    Holding a fan still for a moment or two won't hurt it.

    DO NOT try this on the fan in the power supply, and don't stick anything in there through its air vents either - you could get an electric shock and kill yourself.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by bikejumpr2020
    It like starts making a moaning kinda sound. Is this bad??
    it just means it's having a ghey cyber session
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,644
    What kind of noise is it making?

    We could probably tell you which component is failing if you describe the sound.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    idk it cant really describe it.. its like a moan or its sounds like a cow moo. ha

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Corisant
    Posts
    5,813
    My comp is on 24/7. When I recently shut down due to a storm, it made funny sounds on pwr up because the fans needed time to warm up to operation temp. As long it's not the grinding/clicking sound of a HD dying.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by bikejumpr2020
    My computer has been making funny sounds lately. It like starts making a moaning kinda sound. Is this bad??
    too much porn, the computer is evolving.
    ...

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    not only does it do it on startup, it does it randomly throughout the day when its on.

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    My comp is on 24/7. When I recently shut down due to a storm, it made funny sounds on pwr up because the fans needed time to warm up to operation temp. As long it's not the grinding/clicking sound of a HD dying.
    Erm...unless you are using internal combustion fans they don't "warm up".

    An electrical fan should spin up with no hesitation (or moaning for that matter) when power is applied.
    I'd think of replacing the offending unit before it goes toes up on you.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Corisant
    Posts
    5,813
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    My comp is on 24/7. When I recently shut down due to a storm, it made funny sounds on pwr up because the fans needed time to warm up to operation temp. As long it's not the grinding/clicking sound of a HD dying.
    Erm...unless you are using internal combustion fans they don't "warm up".

    An electrical fan should spin up with no hesitation (or moaning for that matter) when power is applied.
    I'd think of replacing the offending unit before it goes toes up on you.
    There was no hesitation, just some noise for about 2 minutes. The fan was about 18 months of continuious use. The warm-up thing was just a theory but replacing it cured the noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •