Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dying hard drive???

I think my hard drive is failing cause when i was on it, the computer froze and a blue screen came on saying something about a kernal ... error and to restart. well when i restart it either restarts by itself once it gets to the loading windows xp screen.....or it goes on then like 5min later of being on the blue screen comes on agian. can some1 give me their opinion

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You didn't need to edit the last post of your other thread just to start a new one with the same post. The old thread was fine.

The symptoms you describe don't necessarily mean that it's the HDD failing.

Could you give us the full system specs please?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    ...and also the full and exact wording of the bluescreen you get.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    well my specs are Hp502n, 1.3ghz, 256mb, 160gb hd, windows xp.. thts all the specs i kno of or can remember... and about the message ill post tht in like 20min i got to write it down.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    The messages says:
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    Kernal_Stack_Inpage_Error
    If this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer, if this screen appears agian, follow these steps:
    check to make sure any new hardware or software is propertly installed. if this is a new installation ask your harware or software manufactuer for any windows upadtes you meed need.
    if problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. disable BIos memory options such as caching or shadowing if you need to use sfe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press f8 to select advanced startup options. and then selectt safe mode.
    Technical information:
    STOP: 0x00000077 (0xc000000E,0x00000000,0x00400000)
    Begining dump of physical memory

This is what the entire screen says. For the record have not installled any new software or programs.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...us;Q315266#kb3

You could try running diagnostics for the HDD. Check the drive makers web site for the appropriate tools.

You could also run RAM a test.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    If i would have to be on that computer in order to do tht then i cant casue it wont stay on long enough

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Manufacturer's drive tools fit on and run from a floppy disc.
    Memtest86 runs from a bootable CD.
    Neither would be affected by a failing hard drive and Memtest86 is designed to find faulty memory so that wouldn't stop it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Memtest86 can run from a floppy also.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    since i have no way of putting tht on a cd or a floppy disc i took out one of my ram sticks and just kept the one in and i turned it on and the blue screen came on so i took it out and put the other one in and it seems to be working now. how does ram go bad or is there any way to prevent this, if this is the problem? and can i get a replacement or is the slot the thing thts broke?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast