Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Who and Whom/Who's and Whose?

  1. #1
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,644
    I never get when to use who's and whose/who and whom

    "I knew someone on FST who's grammar isn't the best".

    "I knew someone on FST whose grammar isn't the best".

    Which one's correct?


    "Who's/whose cawk is the biggest on FST? It depends on who/whom you ask."

    Rewrite that in a grammatically correct manner?
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

  2. Lounge   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I wear an Even Steven wit
    Posts
    44,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    I never get when to use who's and whose/who and whom

    "I knew someone on FST who's grammar isn't the best".

    "I knew someone on FST whose grammar isn't the best".

    Which one's correct?


    "Who's/whose cawk is the biggest on FST? It depends on who/whom you ask."

    Rewrite that in a grammatically correct manner?
    I explained this to maebach a month or so back, he asked exactly the same question. I can't be arsed to search for it tho'.

    You're from the same school, aren't you.

    That's kinda special
    Last edited by manker; 03-16-2006 at 03:58 AM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

    --Good for them if they survive.

  3. Lounge   -   #3
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    I never get when to use who's and whose/who and whom

    "I knew someone on FST who's grammar isn't the best".

    "I knew someone on FST whose grammar isn't the best".

    Which one's correct?


    "Who's/whose cawk is the biggest on FST? It depends on who/whom you ask."

    Rewrite that in a grammatically correct manner?
    I explained this to maebach a month or so back, he asked exactly the same question. I can't be arsed to search for it tho'.

    You're from the same school, aren't you.

    That's kinda special
    Yep, it's a special school for special kids who are special and have special needs needing special attention. It's l33t I tell ya.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

  4. Lounge   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,694
    whose

  5. Lounge   -   #5
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    I never get when to use who's and whose/who and whom

    "I knew someone on FST who's grammar isn't the best".

    "I knew someone on FST whose grammar isn't the best".

    Which one's correct?


    "Who's/whose cawk is the biggest on FST? It depends on who/whom you ask."

    Rewrite that in a grammatically correct manner?
    For starters, "who's" is the contraction. "....who is (or who has) grammar isn't the best" makes no sense in that sentence. (plus that sentence would sound better with "knew" matching up with "wasn't" instead of "isn't")
    "Whose" is possessive.

    I don't really use whom that much but I know whom is the objective form of who.

    Think....to whom, with whom, he is someone whom I dislike....

    The only time I think "who" sounds shitty is when it's used after a preposition. "Whom" sounds fitting.

    Otherwise use "who". I doubt a grammaranimal would even pull you up on it.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-16-2006 at 02:24 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  6. Lounge   -   #6
    hamm's Avatar evil piggy
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    "Whore" is possessive.
    Yeah, tell me about it.
    Bitch is always up in my face wantin to know where I been and who I was with.
    Damn woman, let a brother be.
    Last edited by hamm; 03-16-2006 at 06:42 AM.

  7. Lounge   -   #7
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by hamm
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    "Whore" is possessive.
    Yeah, tell me about it.
    Bitch is always up in my face wantin to know where I been and who I was with.
    Damn woman, let a brother be.


    Yeah, she should "possess" another name.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  8. Lounge   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    Who is?

  9. Lounge   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Who is?
    ...and who isn't?

    Those are the questions.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •