Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: The army will set them straight ????

  1. #1
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    I always remember back in the day whenever there was a "youth" in trouble with the law someone of advanced years would always say "what they need is a stint in the army...that will set them straight".
    For the most part it always seemed a fair comment, after all the army would teach them discipline etc.
    However it seems that the army also teaches them the art of urban warfare, a fact that has not escaped the attention of American street gangs.

    Some of America's most notorious street gangs are turning up in the military. But they aren't just serving their country. Instead, many are taking the opportunity to learn a very deadly trade.

    NBC 17 has learned there is a growing concern with gang members enlisting in the military with the hope of learning the art of war.

    Detective Hunter Glass is a an Army veteran and Fayetteville gang officer.

    "We do know through intelligence that some gang members are actually sent into the military to learn about military tactics," Glass said.

    Glass showed NBC 17 footage of a known gang member just back from Iraq firing on two California police officers -- he kills one quickly using tactics perfected on the battlefield.

    "Using strictly military tactics he learned in the Marine Corps, he applies suppressive fire power right into the corner," Glass explains. "He didn't learn those tactics as a gang member."

    Gangs In The Military
    Gang member uses military tactics to kill California police officer

    A SWAT team eventually shoots and kills the Marine.
    source

    Atention to this problem is rising in the media and there is the beginning of efforts to try to blame military recruiting standards.
    I feel that to place the blame with the military is a bit unfair. American society should look into itself and realise that we must all accept blame.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I always remember back in the day whenever there was a "youth" in trouble with the law someone of advanced years would always say "what they need is a stint in the army...that will set them straight".
    For the most part it always seemed a fair comment, after all the army would teach them discipline etc.
    However it seems that the army also teaches them the art of urban warfare, a fact that has not escaped the attention of American street gangs.

    Some of America's most notorious street gangs are turning up in the military. But they aren't just serving their country. Instead, many are taking the opportunity to learn a very deadly trade.

    NBC 17 has learned there is a growing concern with gang members enlisting in the military with the hope of learning the art of war.

    Detective Hunter Glass is a an Army veteran and Fayetteville gang officer.

    "We do know through intelligence that some gang members are actually sent into the military to learn about military tactics," Glass said.

    Glass showed NBC 17 footage of a known gang member just back from Iraq firing on two California police officers -- he kills one quickly using tactics perfected on the battlefield.

    "Using strictly military tactics he learned in the Marine Corps, he applies suppressive fire power right into the corner," Glass explains. "He didn't learn those tactics as a gang member."

    Gangs In The Military
    Gang member uses military tactics to kill California police officer

    A SWAT team eventually shoots and kills the Marine.
    source

    Atention to this problem is rising in the media and there is the beginning of efforts to try to blame military recruiting standards.
    I feel that to place the blame with the military is a bit unfair. American society should look into itself and realise that we must all accept blame.

    Yes...'twould be wrong to blame the gang members.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4


    Yes...'twould be wrong to blame the gang members.
    Of course gang members take the blame for how they use the training once they have served their country.

    Military recruiting standards are being blamed, yet we live in a society that has spawned such behaviour. Gangs are part of that society. America to a degree still has a "wild west attitude".

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Don't get me started.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Don't get me started.
    then what's the point of posting opinions

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Don't get me started.
    then what's the point of posting opinions
    All of it starts with the idea no one thinks kids can/will change their behaviors.

    I believe it's possible and beneficial to try.

    Others think it's not worth the effort.

    I don't want to waste time arguing with people who reject the idea out-of-hand.

    'Nuff said.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    [
    I don't want to waste time arguing with people who reject the idea out-of-hand.

    'Nuff said.
    what are you talking about? who is rejecting ?
    This ended up in the wrong thread...don't know how that happened.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    [
    I don't want to waste time arguing with people who reject the idea out-of-hand.

    'Nuff said.
    what are you talking about? who is rejecting ?

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    what are you talking about? who is rejecting ?
    This ended up in the wrong thread...don't know how that happened.
    How did you manage to quote me before I posted


    Is this some clever attempt to say "you know how we think"?


    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I believe it's possible and beneficial to try.
    very "liberal thinking" of you
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-17-2006 at 01:24 AM.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •