Thread: The army will set them straight ????

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I always remember back in the day whenever there was a "youth" in trouble with the law someone of advanced years would always say "what they need is a stint in the army...that will set them straight".
    For the most part it always seemed a fair comment, after all the army would teach them discipline etc.
    However it seems that the army also teaches them the art of urban warfare, a fact that has not escaped the attention of American street gangs.

Some of America's most notorious street gangs are turning up in the military. But they aren't just serving their country. Instead, many are taking the opportunity to learn a very deadly trade.

NBC 17 has learned there is a growing concern with gang members enlisting in the military with the hope of learning the art of war.

Detective Hunter Glass is a an Army veteran and Fayetteville gang officer.

"We do know through intelligence that some gang members are actually sent into the military to learn about military tactics," Glass said.

Glass showed NBC 17 footage of a known gang member just back from Iraq firing on two California police officers -- he kills one quickly using tactics perfected on the battlefield.

"Using strictly military tactics he learned in the Marine Corps, he applies suppressive fire power right into the corner," Glass explains. "He didn't learn those tactics as a gang member."

Gangs In The Military
    Gang member uses military tactics to kill California police officer

A SWAT team eventually shoots and kills the Marine.
    source

Atention to this problem is rising in the media and there is the beginning of efforts to try to blame military recruiting standards.
    I feel that to place the blame with the military is a bit unfair. American society should look into itself and realise that we must all accept blame.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I always remember back in the day whenever there was a "youth" in trouble with the law someone of advanced years would always say "what they need is a stint in the army...that will set them straight".
    For the most part it always seemed a fair comment, after all the army would teach them discipline etc.
    However it seems that the army also teaches them the art of urban warfare, a fact that has not escaped the attention of American street gangs.

Some of America's most notorious street gangs are turning up in the military. But they aren't just serving their country. Instead, many are taking the opportunity to learn a very deadly trade.

NBC 17 has learned there is a growing concern with gang members enlisting in the military with the hope of learning the art of war.

Detective Hunter Glass is a an Army veteran and Fayetteville gang officer.

"We do know through intelligence that some gang members are actually sent into the military to learn about military tactics," Glass said.

Glass showed NBC 17 footage of a known gang member just back from Iraq firing on two California police officers -- he kills one quickly using tactics perfected on the battlefield.

"Using strictly military tactics he learned in the Marine Corps, he applies suppressive fire power right into the corner," Glass explains. "He didn't learn those tactics as a gang member."

Gangs In The Military
    Gang member uses military tactics to kill California police officer

A SWAT team eventually shoots and kills the Marine.
    source

Atention to this problem is rising in the media and there is the beginning of efforts to try to blame military recruiting standards.
    I feel that to place the blame with the military is a bit unfair. American society should look into itself and realise that we must all accept blame.

Yes...'twould be wrong to blame the gang members.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

Yes...'twould be wrong to blame the gang members.
    Of course gang members take the blame for how they use the training once they have served their country.

Military recruiting standards are being blamed, yet we live in a society that has spawned such behaviour. Gangs are part of that society. America to a degree still has a "wild west attitude".

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Don't get me started.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Don't get me started.
    then what's the point of posting opinions

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Don't get me started.
    then what's the point of posting opinions
    All of it starts with the idea no one thinks kids can/will change their behaviors.

I believe it's possible and beneficial to try.

Others think it's not worth the effort.

I don't want to waste time arguing with people who reject the idea out-of-hand.

'Nuff said.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    [

'Nuff said.
    what are you talking about? who is rejecting ?
    This ended up in the wrong thread...don't know how that happened.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    [

'Nuff said.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    This ended up in the wrong thread...don't know how that happened.
    How did you manage to quote me before I posted

Is this some clever attempt to say "you know how we think"?

I believe it's possible and beneficial to try.
    very "liberal thinking" of you
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-17-2006 at 01:24 AM.