Thread: Getting Around My School Firewall?

_John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Well, along with the stupid windows website blocker, my school uses the program called X-Stop. I mean, I can hardly get on any of my favorite gaming sites anymore, let alone pratically anything else it seems. Of course it didnt block this, luckily.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how to get around x-stop, or the windows installed one, seeing as how they are both causing loads of problems for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    use a proxy

there are a few good cgi proxy sites about which will let you surf from there webpage.

Anonamizer and the such.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    To do that all I would have in IE is just Internet Options, than settings, and LAN settings right?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thats probably blocked and the school network might already be using a proxy.
    Hes talkin about a web based proxy like Anonymizer or safesurf or whatever its called.

however I highly reccommend you dont do this as you will get in deep shit if you do this in a comp lab or something. If its in a university and its your own comp you wont get caught.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    FFJos
    we actually formatted our comp at school and installed windows xp, I don't really recommend it tough

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    yeah we bet the admin we could get admin privelages on a few machines easy so they gave us two test machines which needed a reinstall.

we whacked a win2000 boot disk in and got admin through the recovery console on the xp machine that way.

The other way we ran a small verion of linux and copied out the sam file and cracked it on the win2000 machine.

But i would not even dream of doing anything like this unless the admin gave me expressed permission.

I would talk to your admin as well. ask why they have blocked these sites in a educational enviroment where freedom to information should be guarenteed.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Haha, this is just a boring high school Applications class, where we constantly do stupid chapters from Excel, Word, and Other books.

But I used one of the proxies at allproxies website, and it got to the sites that X-Stop had blocked before.

Seems like it was a simple yet effective solution.