Thread: Brothers in Arms (Hoodlum release) Won't Install

Unregd-Dude
    I don't have a DVD drive, so I just un-rared it into a folder. Normally everything works fine, but when I click on the setup.exe a promt window opens, and then an error window:

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    CS:0544 IP:01e6 OP:fe e9 7b Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Anyone encounter this before?

Thanks for reading.

-UD

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    get daemon tools and mount the cue or iso, then install it. i dont know how there is an exe (usually when u unrar a game you get a cd format like bin+cue, iso, etc.) but ya just mount the file and install the game.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I cant imagine an exe either and as I would think its a image file of some sort or and as mentioned you can just mount it if so with virtual drive software which I use Alcohol by preferance although Im wondering out of curiosty what the name of the file you got...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    winrar opens *.iso up like *.rar

mount the *.iso in daemon tools or burn it in nero

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Unregd-Dude
    Thanks for the replies guys, here's the full story:

Downloaded the Bit Torrent with Shareaza.

What I got was a folder with a readme, a couple HTML files, and a .rar (not an iso or bin) file.

I unrar it to a folder, and what I have is the DVD in a folder. The setup.exe I am referring to is the one that you would click from the DVD, it's just on my HD instead of a DVD.

Apparently I'm not the only one with a BiA problem involving the NTVDM CPU though: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...ighlight=ntvdm

I speant about 4 hours yesterday searching for NTVDM CPU fixes, tried replacing some WinXP files, tried closing everything task manager would let me close... Apparently its a WinXP bug, but MS support just says contact the manufacturer of your software...

Is it possible to convert a .rar into a .iso or just mount a .rar?

Thanks again guys. I wish they'd just put a legit demo out...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    just copy all the files onto the dvd.

i reckon the problem is that it can't install from X:\blah\setup.exe and can only install from X:\setup.exe
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 04-17-2005 at 08:50 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Unregd-Dude
    I don't have a DVD writer or drive, unfortunately. Usually these things allow me to get around that. Guess I'll just have to abandon the idea of playing this game.

As per the link I posted, it doesn't appear where I run it from matters.

Thanks anyway.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Unregistered
    Nobodys probably reading this any more but i had the same problem today so heres the solution, uninstall then reinstall winrar or your equivelant and when given the option to select the type of files it can open unclick all but .rar box then finish the install. Daemon can now read the extracted file as an iso. The problem was for me winrar opened the iso itsell so i was unable to use it with daemon. Hope someone gets help from this even if its a little late bye!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Nobodys probably reading this any more but i had the same problem today so heres the solution, uninstall then reinstall winrar or your equivelant and when given the option to select the type of files it can open unclick all but .rar box then finish the install. Daemon can now read the extracted file as an iso. The problem was for me winrar opened the iso itsell so i was unable to use it with daemon. Hope someone gets help from this even if its a little late bye!
    You're so wrong!
    Im reading this, hehe.

You're talking about file association there i think.
    Alternatively, one could just right-click the given file and choose

"Open with..." ---> Choose Program...

And, tick the box:

"Always use selected the program to open this kind of file"

Spoiler: Show

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Member BT Rep: +1
    if you have file association problems, be sure to check the program options to associate with the correct extensions