Thread: Gates Slams $100 Laptop Project

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    [news=http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5995/thumbnails7sl.jpg]Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates mocked the $100 laptop computer project that is to help developing countries. The $100 laptop project is backed by Google at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and is aimed to provide inexpensive computers to people in developing countries around the world. While the computer lacks many of the useful features that we take for granted on a typical computer, it does provide a means for developing countries to gain access to a computer.

"The last thing you want to do for a shared use computer is have it be something without a disk and with a tiny little screen," Gates said at the Microsoft Government Leaders Forum in suburban Washington. "Hardware is a small part of the cost" of providing computing capabilities, he said, adding that the big costs come from network connectivity, applications and support.

Source: http://www.overclockersclub.com/?read=4255303
    Homepage: http://laptop.org/[/news]
    Last edited by twisterX; 03-17-2006 at 01:50 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Well, Bill does have a bone to pick. Without XP installed, he's not getting paid!

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    Hes taking this a little too far. Just becuase its not a $300 computer (100 hardware + 200 Windows )

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Ya guys but thought he was always looking out for the poor of the world but if it runs Linux.............

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    Hes making very bad claims. Hand cranking. YOu won't be cranking while typing. Its probably like 5 cranks an hour or something like that. The screen is too small?? Maybe hes gotten too greeedy and used to his 30+ inchers or whatever he has. Hardware a small part of the cost. Hell yea it is becuase windows costs too much. Support?? Hahahah. Where could i get windows for a cheaper price if i choose it without support. Applications?? What GOOD apps does windows come with. All the good stuff i had to install my self.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Thanx twister, for the pic resize . I really suck at that and as Groucho Marx use to say , " I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Well Mr. Gates if you can do a better job for 100$ as the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is".......