Thread: Hackers Install Windows XP on Intel Mac

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    [news=http://news.google.ca/news?imgefp=K6c9OrbQsugJ&imgurl=www.playfuls.com/scitech/gimages/onmac.jpg]While Windows XP won't natively boot on Apple's new Intel based Macs due to lack of EFI support and Microsoft has no plans to change that in Vista, one hacker has found a way around the limitation and snagged a $13,854 prize in the process. But the approach requires heavy editing of an XP install disc.

Colin Nederkoorn launched a contest to encourage the technically savvy to get Windows XP installed on an Intel iMac, Mac mini or MacBook Pro. Donations were collected from a number of companies and individuals, with the sum going to the first person that discovered a reproducible method for booting Windows on a Mac.

Source: http://www.betanews.com/article/Hack...Mac/1142531021[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    Why would you get a mac to install windows on. Everybody including me are trying to get mac on pc and have succedded but are trying to make it work better.

Its like all messed up.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Because you can I guess , are not computers wonderful ?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    black96gtvert's Avatar Poster
    I would prefer mac os on a windows machine

pretty cool find though

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    You know, the reason why it took so long was because of the prize money. Normally you would think that would speed up the process but it had the reverse effect. People hacking XP onto Mac wouldnt share their progress with anyone else (didnt want the others taking the prize) and so no cooperation happened. I mean, hell, look at the mac on PC scene. People were able to get the mac os on PC last august (or sometime around there). Im currenly tri-booting Mac, XP, and Linux on my computer. People actually worked together sharing their info instead of everyone for themselves..... But now that the contest is over, perhaps people can share their findings and make the XP OS work better (from the reviews Ive read, the things you can do on XP on mac is very limited).
    blah blah blah... whatever...

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Macs are for elitist people, but hey, Windows is for everyday folks. And I have yet to see a Mac computer game.