Thread: Improve File Quality

I wrote a free utility that allows Kazaa and Kazaa Lite users the ability to download files immediately into 'quarantine' (an unshared folder). This allows reviewing the files before they are moved into a shared upload folder.

Helps prevent the spread of bogus files into the network, allows more privacy and reduces lost bandwidth from fake files being shared.

My web site is: http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/starthere

Please post feedback, comments, thoughts, ideas or send email.

tks

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by thorhaug@24 April 2003 - 16:41
    I wrote a free utility that allows Kazaa and Kazaa Lite users the ability to download files immediately into 'quarantine' (an unshared folder). This allows reviewing the files before they are moved into a shared upload folder.

Helps prevent the spread of bogus files into the network, allows more privacy and reduces lost bandwidth from fake files being shared.

My web site is: http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/starthere

Please post feedback, comments, thoughts, ideas or send email.

tks
    Yes,

but it also reduces the number of sources at the end doesn't it?
    And if the file that somebody downloaded is OK we have lost a GOOD source as well!

... and it contributes to LEECHING!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    imported_The__One
    Yes,

but it also reduces the number of sources at the end doesn't it?
    And if the file that somebody downloaded is OK we have lost a GOOD source as well!

... and it contributes to LEECHING!
    We will not lose a good source if the person moves the file to theyr shared folder after they verify that it's real, however the chances of the person simply downloading the file, then saying "fuck it.." and leaving it in the "quarantine" folder are rather large .

And I belive U can use ptrack ( www.prtack.org ) to do the "quarantine" thing....and with a lot of other nice features to boot

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Rocktron, I see your points ...

The way I see it is that a leech is a leech, no matter if this tool is used or not, by simply turning off sharing or by manually removing files from the shared folder.

I use the tool and I also share files but only files that are of high quality. Too many times, before hitting the sack , I've started downloads of what turns out to be fake files only to wake up in the morning to find dozens of people also fell victim by uploading from me. That sucks too.

I guess it boils down to if people use the tool but are too lazy (leechy) to move good files into the shared folder after. But then again, lazy people probably won't bother to install a tool, they'll just turn off file sharing.

I wish there was a better way to kill off bad files. They waste soooo much time and bandwidth...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by thorhaug@24 April 2003 - 17:39
    I guess it boils down to if people use the tool but are too lazy (leechy) to move good files into the shared folder after. But then again, lazy people probably won't bother to install a tool, they'll just turn off file sharing.

I wish there was a better way to kill off bad files. They waste soooo much time and bandwidth...
    Hi Thorhaug,

I appreciate the thought don't get me wrong, but i'm affraid that this tool wil be mostley used by people for
    downloading files without worrying about the decrease of download speed after completion.

And about the bad files... yes that's a problem! Everybody hates a long wait for nothing....
    Oh well.., we must not forget that it all still costs nothing at all.. P2P for ever!
    I have heard that Emule Re-downloads bad checksums.. that would be an idea for Klite as well don't you think?

Keep up the good work!

See Ya!