Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lotr Bin File

sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    This may be a dumb question..and yes I have searched the forum.....but ....

I have dl lord of the rings...there are 2 .bin files..

1 fits neatly on a 700meg Cd
    the other is 720meg and therefore won't fit...
    Can I split the file in winzip? I tried that and it produced a smaller zip file and extracted all of the rest into my shared folder making a right old mess!!!
    Obviously I am doing something wrong here. I need to burn it all to cd as I dl'ed it at work and want to take it home!

Thanks

2. Games   -   #2
    imported_The__One
    try burning the second .bin file to a cd anyway, most of the time, a .bin file will be bigger on your HD then on the CD...I had several cases of 720MB bin files fit nicely into a 700MB CD-R ....and even if that dosen't work, U can try overburning...

Or if U want to be extreme, U can use something like VirtualDUB to split the video file, not the bin, so U'll have to extract the movie from the bin and then slpit it (U can use ISO Buster to extract from bin file)

Hope this helps

3. Games   -   #3
    Yes, go ahead and burn them, they fit perfectly in a CD, even in a 650Mb Cd-R. The image occupies more space than the content itself, I donīīt know why but it does.

cheers

4. Games   -   #4
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Ok...thanks I will give it a go...

Cheers

5. Games   -   #5
    simple answer to ur quesiton there

microsoft os systems register like this

a mb is 1000kb right

wrong, windows measures differently

a mb in windows is actually 1000kb/1024kb *(times) 1000 = 976.5625kb

so ur file that registers on ur hd is 720 is actually 703.125mb and should fit ur cd, make sure u have overburn turned on.

but yeah like that other guy stated a .bin file is always larger

like i burned an 800mb .bin fine on a cd without overburning. so .bins can be tricky sometimes.

6. Games   -   #6
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    If it still doesn't work, get WinISO and use it to convert the .bin to .iso. They're usually smaller file size and easier to burn with Nero.

7. Games   -   #7
    will this work with movie files to? ie, mpeg? I ripped The Master Of Disguise on to my hd. I want to be able to watch it on my dvd player so it needs to stay in the mpeg format. It is 801mb. If I use overburn and it doesn't work, will it screw up my burner?

ps. I know it is the wrong forum

8. Games   -   #8
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by The King@24 April 2003 - 16:51
    will this work with movie files to? ie, mpeg? I ripped The Master Of Disguise on to my hd. I want to be able to watch it on my dvd player so it needs to stay in the mpeg format. It is 801mb. If I use overburn and it doesn't work, will it screw up my burner?

No, with movies it's not the file's size that matters, it's the length of the movie. If I recall, that movie was rather short so you might be able to fit the whole thing on one 80 minute CD.

9. Games   -   #9
    well if u have a dvd burner thats not a problem. Just convert the mpeg to a dvd file using padus. A dvd disk can hold 6gigs

but from what said im guessing u just have a ripp thats an 800mb mpeg and thats diff then a bin file, a bin file has the folders and stuff that is actually suppose to make up the cd aka game. movie so a bin will always be smaller then the end resulted burn

but what ur telling me is u have a 800mb mpeg, and u could burn it, it depends on ur burner, most of the newer burners allow u to overburn, some have a safety mechanism so that u cant hurt ur burner from overburning. But u should check that out first because some older burners u cant overburn or ull mess ur burner up. but a plain cd-r can only hold about 730max with an overburn, so i suggest u get hold of an 800 cd-r or cd-rw, they cost more. a cd-rw can hold alot more space then a cd-r.

10. Games   -   #10
    Originally posted by Nightwolf^.`.^+24 April 2003 - 23:30--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nightwolf^.`.^ @ 24 April 2003 - 23:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The King@24 April 2003 - 16:51
    will this work with movie files to? ie, mpeg? I ripped The Master Of Disguise on to my hd. I want to be able to watch it on my dvd player so it needs to stay in the mpeg format. It is 801mb. If I use overburn and it doesn&#39;t work, will it screw up my burner?

No, with movies it&#39;s not the file&#39;s size that matters, it&#39;s the length of the movie. If I recall, that movie was rather short so you might be able to fit the whole thing on one 80 minute CD. [/b][/quote]
    yesh thats the silliest thing ive heard, size does matter&#33;

an 80min cd can only hold 700mb and an overburn 730mb at most. ANd to say that its about minutes is just plain *cant say it*, sry dont mean to be meen but come on, u r just misinformed. A movie file has many aspects to it, the audio quality, video quality, image resolution. All those things add to the size of the mpeg or video file. Minutes of how long the video dont matter when ur burning, its the size of the file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast