Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What speeds should i be getting?

Hi all, I'm new to newsgroups and I'd just like to know what download speeds I should be getting. I've had a trial at newsdemon.com and am currently using usenetserver.com on both of these servers i couldn't download much faster than 700KB/s. I'm on a 12Mbps cable connection, is this maxing out my connection or should I be able to get higher speeds?

Thanks

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Guyanese_Bai
    damm i would love 700 KB/s, all i get is between 250-350 KB/S but Im on a cable connection upto 3Mbps... I think u should be getting more then that though.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    To max out a 12Mb/s connection you'd need to download at 1.5MB/s.
    I don't know what software you are using, but I use NewsbinPro, which can open multiple connections to the same server in order to maximise bandwidth.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I'm using NewsBinPro and i've set it to 10 connections which is the most usenetserver.com allow.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Are you using a wireless connection. That may limit your speeds, depending on what version it is.

I have 10Mb/S and would expect to average over 1MB/S

That's with a pre-N wireless router and a Wireless-g adaptor on the PC.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster
    Im using a wireless router and its not effected my speeds...

Before I had wireless network I got 250/300KB on my 2mb connectin and I still get that speed.

Defo think somethings blocking your full speed... Check ports if your using a router and also check your AV to see if its effecting. Mine effects USENET dl s I turn if off just while I dl.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    if your newsgroups allow connecting on a different port than default port try that since your ISP might be limiting speeds on the default usenet port.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    I'm not using a wireless connection or a router.

If i change ports to my newserver while I'm downloading does it instantly change over? Because if it does I've gone through all the ports supported by my newsserver while downloading with no increase in speed.

T0TAL-RECALL what do you mean by AV?

Thanks for the responses

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Guyanese_Bai
    i think he means anti virus software

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyanese_Bai
    i think he means anti virus software
    Yes.. AV Anti Virus

I use Avast and since it checks files as they ownload it limits my speed to about 100KB at intervals so I switch it off during dl then I scan once its finishes but I have never in 4yrs got a virus using newsgroups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast