Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Avatars

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Yours really is rather sinister, I don't see how it wouldn't have some effect on your readers.

i know that it's a character out of a game, so like. i can't imagine it having an effect other than saying he's a fan of half life 2
    I return you to the point I made earlier. I had no idea it was a character from a game. So all I get is the image, in isolation. To me it's a sinister image.

It's back to what you intended, as compared to what I perceived.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Most have little or no effect being neutral with an occasional that suits the poster and creates a package.
    This is the only time I think an av affects my perception of any posts...

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY
    Most have little or no effect being neutral with an occasional that suits the poster and creates a package.
    So you don't think there may be any sub-conscious element. A subliminal preconception based on your own personal prejudices with regard to negative symbolism attached to an image, or person.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    So you don't think there may be any sub-conscious element. A subliminal preconception based on your own personal prejudices with regard to negative symbolism attached to an image, or person.
    The only thing I see is a quick referance to the poster as mentioned so as to not having to read the name. Those whose av are well chosen to fit thier posting style just have created a better package so in short no...

5. Lounge   -   #35
    The only thing I see is a quick referance to the poster as mentioned so as to not having to read the name. Those whose av are well chosen to fit thier posting style just have created a better package so in short no...
    Fair point, I wasn't really saying that it was one way or the other. I just wanted to put the notion across to see if there was any validity in it.

Do you think however that it may have an effect on newer members. Using Barbie's avatar as an obvious example. Will people who don't know him read it as being more aggressive, simply because of that.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Fair point, I wasn't really saying that it was one way or the other. I just wanted to put the notion across to see if there was any validity in it.

Do you think however that it may have an effect on newer members. Using Barbie's avatar as an obvious example. Will people who don't know him read it as being more aggressive, simply because of that.
    If theyre excitable perhaps...

7. Lounge   -   #37

Indeed.

8. Lounge   -   #38

Indeed.
    Think smileys have more affect as Ive learned...

9. Lounge   -   #39
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    My avatar was designed specifically to confuse merkins. Which it does, bitch!
    Yours has a feel of friendly pop rather than a sarcastic dig. That of course is on a conscious, analytical level

For me it doesn't evoke any strong emotional response. I wonder if it does for anyone else, consciously or subconsciously.
    I started using it on a different forum. I was a mod and we did a fantasy football thing. About 25% of the players were American. The fantasy football game took over the whole forum and in the end the forum was devoted exclusively to footie.

To a man, the Americans were rubbish at getting their transfers, team changes and injury swaps to me on time. So I got one of the blokes to make me this avatar as a parody of the, then popliar, American Idol.

I like it so I use it here even tho' it has no relevance at all.

Or does it
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic

Indeed.
    Think smileys have more affect as Ive learned...
    This is true.

Dicktwat

It's hot in Topeka.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast