Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP strangeness

Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Any reason that the IP from IPCONFIG would be different than the one from www.whatismyip.com?
    A freind of mine and I were trying to set up a file transfer program between my computer and his, were having problems, so I tracked his ip that ipconfig gave him and it could not be found. I sent him to whatismyip.com, and it gave him a different one that tracked to the right spot. any idea why this could be?
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    If you're connecting through a NAT router, or browsing via a proxy they will be different

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    far as I know he isn't- he is on his basic college net

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    The ip address ranges 192.168.x.x 10.x.x.x and 172.16-31.x.x are reserved for LAN use. If a computer has an ip in those ranges then it's internet access is through a NAT device and it can only receive incoming connections if the NAT device is configured to forward ports.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    the ip addresses in question are in the 10.x.x.x range for the one off IP config, and 150.x.x.x for the one off of whatismyip.com (don't remember the whole address off the top of my head)

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv
    the ip addresses in question are in the 10.x.x.x range for the one off IP config, and 150.x.x.x for the one off of whatismyip.com (don't remember the whole address off the top of my head)
    the 10.x.x.x is his network IP adress, the 150.x.x.x is the internet IP (same ip for all of the college network, most likely).

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    damn, any ideas on how we might be able to key in waste?

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Do what to what?

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    waste file sharing program- I put a post up about it in the filesharing forum-
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t114163.html
    basicly it is an encripted file sharer for a set network- new users have to be keyed in by an existing user. we were going to set up this program so that we could transfer files between our computers reletivly easy. however, you have to connect to the other user's ip address inorder to set up the network. from the sound of it, when I try to connect to his lan ip, my computer doesn't know what to do with it, and the 150.x.x.x is trying to connect to every computer on the University of Montana campus. any way that I can tell it to connect to a particular lan ip on another ip address? or a way that he could use a proxy so that there is a singal ip address that leads directly to his computer?

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Your firend at college will not be able to recieve incoming connections. His waste client will have to connect out to another waste client with a reachable listening port. To get started your friends key will have to be imported by a reachable client and your friend will have to import the key of the reachable client.

my computer doesn't know what to do with it
    Not quite. Unless you happen to be using the same subnet for your LAN your computer will send packets addressed to 10.x.x.x to your default gateway and your ISP will drop the packets.

the 150.x.x.x is trying to connect to every computer on the University of Montana campus.
    No, that is the ip address of the NAT device or proxy at the university.
    Last edited by zaphodiv; 03-23-2006 at 09:15 PM.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast