Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Real, Official, Actual, 100%, Homework Thread. Fact.

captain_azad's Avatar metallica > you
    its 1am here and my brain cant comprehend this question (its a rather simple physics question, but tonight it's not being simple, bastards):

750N mass is attached to 2 strings, blah blah, heres a pic:

Find Ft1

I got this far (system of equations):

E(sum)Fy (in y direction) = 0
    EFx = 0
    duh cuz its in equilibrium...i think

therefore:

Ft1y*sin20 + Ft2y*sin60 - Fgy = 0

Ft1y = (Fgy-Ft2y*sin60/sin20)

?? is it right, i plugged stuff in but I have no clue what Ft2 is supposed to be equal to.

as for the x direction:

-Ft1x*cos20 + Ft2x*cos60 = 0
    (Fg shouldnt have anything to do with right? since you can break it into both x and y components, and the x component can be either positive or negative...right??)

Ft1x = Ft2x*cos60/cos20

any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: oh and i tried:

Fn-Fg = 0
    Fn=Fg

by taking Fn and using that as the y value, but that didnt help (yet another pic):

Last edited by captain_azad; 03-27-2006 at 11:47 AM.

(Prelude 3.0)--> And now it's over...

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_azad
    its 1am here and my brain cant comprehend this question (its a rather simple physics question, but tonight it's not being simple, bastards):

750N mass is attached to 2 strings, blah blah, heres a pic:

I got this far (system of equations):

E(sum)Fy (in y direction) = 0
    EFx = 0
    duh cuz its in equilibrium...i think

therefore:

Ft1y*sin20 + Ft2y*sin60 - Fgy = 0

Ft1y = (Fgy-Ft2y*sin60/sin20)

?? is it right, i plugged stuff in but I have no clue what Ft2 is supposed to be equal to.

as for the x direction:

-Ft1x*cos20 + Ft2x*cos60 = 0
    (Fg shouldnt have anything to do with right? since you can break it into both x and y components, and the x component can be either positive or negative...right??)

Ft1x = Ft2x*cos60/cos20

any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: oh and i tried:

Fn-Fg = 0
    Fn=Fg

by taking Fn and using that as the y value, but that didnt help (yet another pic):

Not wishing to appear thick or anything, but what's the question?

3. Lounge   -   #43
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Find a.
    It's hot in Topeka.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Oops, edited the post, Find Ft1 (tension of the 1st string [left])

I'm so close to solving it but its 3:45am here and i need sleep, plus i have to do some stupid french project and i was preoccupied with Calculus as well since we have a test on differential rules...oh....no offense to the french, but french sux balls
    Last edited by captain_azad; 03-27-2006 at 11:48 AM.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I am doing two pieces of work this week.

The first is a three piece portfolio for my Dramatic Writing module with commentary. I have to write about a pantomime I wrote, the film I made and a play I have planned. Almost done, which is nice.

The second piece of work is entitled:

‘Late-Victorian fiction reworks the figure of the double in various ways in order to explore cultural contradictions and desires’ Discuss in relation to one or more literary texts on the module.

If anyone wants to help me with that they are more than welcome. I am planning on using The Picture of Dorian Gray as my primary text whilst using Woman in White and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde to help my argument (whatever that may be...).

6. Lounge   -   #46

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

The first is a three piece portfolio for my Dramatic Writing module with commentary. I have to write about a pantomime I wrote, the film I made and a play I have planned. Almost done, which is nice.

‘Late-Victorian fiction reworks the figure of the double in various ways in order to explore cultural contradictions and desires’ Discuss in relation to one or more literary texts on the module.

If anyone wants to help me with that they are more than welcome. I am planning on using The Picture of Dorian Gray as my primary text whilst using Woman in White and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde to help my argument (whatever that may be...).
    First off, don't flame my post, because it seems you always do regardless of what I post...

Anyways, I have to ask, is a degree (univ level) in English super hard?
    No sarcasm intended.

Looking at your post I'm scared, I hate writing and some of my courses for Univ that I have are English, including one creative writing class (why I do not know, apparently you need to take English courses for an Engineering degree )

Just want a heads up is all.

edit: oh and just to let u guys know, I did inquire about the creative writing class, the nice people at teh reception desk told me that it's not "that" hard of a class, something about being just a bit above high school level writing, but not a full blown university course....
    Last edited by captain_azad; 03-27-2006 at 12:03 PM.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_Asda
    My Hard Physics Problem
    As you say, in equilibrium, so forces horizontal = 0, and forces vertical = 0.

Ft1(cos20) = Ft2(cos60), therefore Ft2=Ft1(cos20)/(cos60)
    Ft1(sin20)+Ft2(sin60) = 750

Substitute Ft2:

Ft1(sin20)+Ft1(cos20)(sin60)/(cos60) = 750
    Ft1((sin20) + (cos20)(sin60)/cos60)) = 750
    Ft1 = 750/((sin20) + (cos20)(sin60)/cos60))

So I'm reckoning Ft1 = 380.785 N ??????

*disclaimer - I haven't really got a fucking clue. I'm really going by your logic, but for the record, by my calculation, Ft2 = 715.641 N, and if you substitute these into the original equations, then they all balance, ftw
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 03-27-2006 at 12:15 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

First off, don't flame my post, because it seems you always do regardless of what I post...

No sarcasm intended.

Looking at your post I'm scared, I hate writing and some of my courses for Univ that I have are English, including one creative writing class (why I do not know, apparently you need to take English courses for an Engineering degree )

edit: oh and just to let u guys know, I did inquire about the creative writing class, the nice people at teh reception desk told me that it's not "that" hard of a class, something about being just a bit above high school level writing, but not a full blown university course....
    I find the degree reasonably easy though there are some elements that I really can't get my head around. Judging by my grades I find the creative side of the degree the easiest but I don't just write stories or poems and hand them in, I have to write about the process of composition and where I think my work fits into the literary canon.

There are people in my creative writing modules who took them as an easy way out but are now regretting it, it's not as easy as it sounds. You have to produce creative work that is going to impress someone who has a Phd in English Literature and has had their own creative work published.

At the end of the day, trite cliches ahoy, you have to choose a course that matches your abilities. I made the mistake of doing English by itself because I didn't think I had any real creative talent. Now I wish I had done a Creative Writing degree. Speak to the teachers or students (not the reception desk, they're receptionists for a reason) and make an informed decision (like wat i nevar did).

9. Lounge   -   #49

No sarcasm intended.

I find the degree reasonably easy though there are some elements that I really can't get my head around. Judging by my grades I find the creative side of the degree the easiest but I don't just write stories or poems and hand them in, I have to write about the process of composition and where I think my work fits into the literary canon.

There are people in my creative writing modules who took them as an easy way out but are now regretting it, it's not as easy as it sounds. You have to produce creative work that is going to impress someone who has a Phd in English Literature and has had their own creative work published.

At the end of the day, trite cliches ahoy, you have to choose a course that matches your abilities. I made the mistake of doing English by itself because I didn't think I had any real creative talent. Now I wish I had done a Creative Writing degree. Speak to the teachers or students (not the reception desk, they're receptionists for a reason) and make an informed decision (like wat i nevar did).
    Alright, thanks.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    How come you thank him, when all he's done is moan, and you don't thank me, when I've done your stupid homework for you?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast