Thread: Ms 5 Button Optical Mouse Tip...

Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I just realized something and I thought I would share it with all of you. I've been using my Intellimouse Optical for some time now and my only real complaint was that many games don't recognize the left and right buttons (4 and 5). I always knew you could change the functions of the buttons in Windows with the Intellipoint software, but while messing around with it the other day I just discovered that you can set up button profiles for any program that you run. In other words if you want to assign an action like Reload to button 4 in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, all you have to do is use Intellipoint to make button 4 act like the 'R' keystroke whenever that game is running. Pretty neat, huh.

I'm sure some of you already knew this, but I thought it was a neat trick and I just wanted to share it. B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Yeah I got an Intellimouse Optical recently. How exactly did you program it m8, cause that d be darn useful, having those buttons...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by south-paw@22 April 2003 - 17:44
    Yeah I got an Intellimouse Optical recently. How exactly did you program it m8, cause that d be darn useful, having those buttons...
    Did you install the Intellipoint software? It should be on the CD that came with your mouse. If not, you can download it from Microsoft's web site (it might take a bit of searching). I think you need version 4.0 or higher for this to work. Once you have it installed, go to Control Panel and open the Mouse settings.

Where it says "Connected Device" make sure you have your optical mouse selected. Then put a checkmark in the box that says "Enable program-specific button settings". Now you need to click on the "Settings..." button to choose which programs should use different settings.

Next click on "Add" and select your game's .exe file. If the game uses a launcher or setup program, make sure you select the actual game file (the .exe that will be running while you play). Then highlight the game on the list, and change the action under "Left Side Button" and "Right Side Button" to "Keystroke" and type the key you want it to be.

I know it sounds complicated, but it's really not. Let me know if you have any problems.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Appreciated this mate. I'll have a hunt round for that cd. Setting this up could well save me getting wasted loads B)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Hey Nightwolf, that is great. Now I can get my medpacks out so fast is in multiplayer, an just quickly rearm myself with the CAR on auto.Big help, thanks a lot

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6