Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Ban Comes Into Force In Scotland

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillian
    No-one was being forced to go to smokey pubs. If you don't want to smell smoke, go to a non-smoking bar.

As an aside, what will happens in nightclubs etc? I used to go clubbing for 5-6 hours at a time, and I can't see ticketed events just letting people in and out to smoke all the time.
    This way the people who chose not to poison themselves and others get to go where they want. In fact everyone gets to go where they want. People just don't get to do something which has no saving virtues and don't get to pollute other people's lungs as well as their own.

Re Nightclubs etc. I believe they are in exactly the same position as everyone else. How they manage it is a matter for them.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    But I won't get to go out to the pub or a decent nightclub anymore. It sucks.

Personally I'm all for smoking bans in workplaces, restaurants, nearly all public places. But a pub is somewhere you can go to have a pint and a smoke after work and unwind. Not anymore.

I just don't see how you can't satisfy smokers and non-smokers by having smoking and non-smoking venues.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    No, no smoking in bars now, and soon, no drinking and no talking. Be careful, Scotland! You’re supposed to be the crazy state, the out there, wild ones, you know? In the future, everyone’s going to say, “Come down to the library, we’ll have a wild time, shall we? Don’t know where that fucking book is, mate, it could be anywhere! There’s a lot of ‘em about!

/obscure?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14

Personally I'm all for smoking bans in workplaces, restaurants, nearly all public places. But a pub is somewhere you can go to have a pint and a smoke after work and unwind. Not anymore.

I just don't see how you can't satisfy smokers and non-smokers by having smoking and non-smoking venues.
    Why should non-smokers be limited in where they are allowed to go. Their freedom of choice is more important than a smoker's freedom to smoke.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    No, no smoking in bars now, and soon, no drinking and no talking. Be careful, Scotland! You’re supposed to be the crazy state, the out there, wild ones, you know? In the future, everyone’s going to say, “Come down to the library, we’ll have a wild time, shall we? Don’t know where that fucking book is, mate, it could be anywhere! There’s a lot of ‘em about!

/obscure?
    Eddie Izzard.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    There has been a ban on smoking in public areas (cinemas, restaurants, pubs, and so forth) here for years and years now. It truly is far more pleasant.

Regarding nightclubs and going in and out to have a smoke, here you end up getting a stamp on the back of your hand to prove you've paid up and whatnot. You can enter and leave as many times as you please. I imagine they'd do something similar over your way.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor
    There has been a ban on smoking in public areas (cinemas, restaurants, pubs, and so forth) here for years and years now. It truly is far more pleasant.

Regarding nightclubs and going in and out to have a smoke, here you end up getting a stamp on the back of your hand to prove you've paid up and whatnot. You can enter and leave as many times as you please. I imagine they'd do something similar over your way.

That makes sense.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Lots of clubs I go to search everyone when they enter the premises. Having to do this every time someone goes out for a cig sounds like a bit of a logistical nightmare (as well as drugs/weapons issues), not to mention the problems with loads of people entering and exiting, and queues around entrances.

I think the most likely scenario in these places would be the ban is ignored - sounds good to me

edit: has the media come up with the word smokeasy (as in speakeasy) yet? If not, I'm claiming it now
    Last edited by Skillian; 03-26-2006 at 09:32 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Welcome to California!

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

So a person can't have a bar smoking bar in Scotland...as in THE FOLKS HERE COME IN HERE TO SMOKE AND DRINK?

I'd think an owner would have the right to that say if a person doesn't like smoke, GTFO.

The owner would pay the price in the market. He/she wouldn't get non-smoker business.

A place specifically for the purpose and a sign on the door sounds good enough. A non-smoker comes in, he can't complain. Otherwise, he's just being a bitch. He'd be like a guy going into a nudey bar complaining about the nekkid ladies. GTFO then.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast