Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New USB to Parallel adapter not printing

Urgent

I had a parallel cord going from my PC to the printer and I just got a new USB to Parallel adapter because my new computer dosent have a parallel port.

Alright so the drivers for the printer are installed fine and the computer detects everything when I plug in the USB. I think the problem is when I go to selecting a port for the printer driver the options are LPT, COM, File, and USB 1-3 (The discription says virtual printer port for USB which I have no idea what that means). Now I do select USB and I have tried all 3 usb ports and printed and none of them worked.

I have been through google and looked for this problem but no where does it say if this is even the right port or if I have to install another port or what. Please help...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    So no one has any idea what to do or why this is a problem or how to add another port?!?!?! This would be the first time Ive asked a question and no one knows what to do.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Please specify what model of adapter you've bought, and what model printer you've got. That saves us guessing and giving bad advice.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    (The discription says virtual printer port for USB which I have no idea what that means)
    That's what you want...virtual printer port means that it's not really a printer port, the USB to parallel adaptor is tricking the computer into thinking it is one.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    My computer is a Dell XPS M140 and I have 4 USB ports on it. I bought a USB to Parallel Adapter (USB-IEEE 1284) so that I could connect my HP LaserJet 6P to the computer and print. The M140 does not have a parallel port.

I have tried all the virtual ports. I even selected all of them as the printer port and pluged in my USB to each and still nothing, the computer acts as if its printing but nothing goes through to the printer.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    (The discription says virtual printer port for USB which I have no idea what that means)
    That's what you want...virtual printer port means that it's not really a printer port, the USB to parallel adaptor is tricking the computer into thinking it is one.

So why does it not work? I have these ports selected to print to. I pluged in another printer to my usb and it detected it and I was able to print in 30 seconds...???

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Hi there... I have (almost) the same problem.

I have Canon LBP-810 Printer since long time. I used to conneced it via the parallel cable to my pc and use it just fine printing documents and photos. Now I have a notebook, an Acer Aspire series, and since the notebook doesn't contain a parallel port, I started to connect the printer via the usb port (Virtual Printer Port for USB), the problem started from this point. I couldn't print any website, whether I was online or offline, I couldn't print any picture using the Windows picture viewer, I couldn't print a notepad document. The only thing that I can print or the printer can print is Word documents and .pdf documents !

If you, or anyone else, find the solution for our problems, I would be glad.

Thank you.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You could add a parallel port to your computer:

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I guess virtual body didn't read the thread from the beginning. Both of us don't have parallel ports because we use notebooks.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by latvian
    I guess virtual body didn't read the thread from the beginning. Both of us don't have parallel ports because we use notebooks.
    The first post didn't mention that it was a laptop.

I just figured I would post bad advice (it's lynx's fault. See his post above).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast