Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xp Install

Rocktron Posted on 25 April 2003 - 06:30
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUOTE (spudlover @ 25 April 2003 - 12:12)
    QUOTE (Rocktron @ 25 April 2003 - 09:14)
    And... than... it should install and leave your hd in FAT32 format (if you want to change back to ME because it sucks.. maybe?) 

ME is one of the worst Microsoft OS's out there.

If you've got a reasonably new machine, you'll never look back once you get XP. 

Maybe so..,

I have 2 computers and this one in the living room workes great! No problems what so ever.
    But the one in the music room doesn't work with ME, it hangs after clicking Start already!

And XP.., well i have browsed alot around this forum and i see so many problem questions, that i just don't dare to
    install XP. Tryed it about 5 times now, and it still doesn't work for me.
    I think you just have to have a NEW computer that is remanufactured and updated to work with XP.
    My suggestion is: If you own an old (let's say 800MHZ P3 computer like mine).. leave XP alone! 
    Your CRAZY winxp pro on 667 mhz celeron 512meg sdram works great .Very few crashes since upgradeing from 98se.And yes this is a downloaded version for educational purposes only. I will be running right out to buy the retail version right away

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Thanks guys

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    balamm Posted on 25 April 2003 - 14:50
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One thing you all missed is if he or anyone is trying to install on an HP built PC then a lot of problems can be expected. HP's proprietary drivers and hardware are gonna be a bitch to sort out. And- Once again, WIPE THAT DISC before you install. Killdisk From Google, Fdisk from the startup disk, then format. And the proper command for a clean disk is A:>format c: /s or A:>format c: followed by " A:>sys c:
    ( format only writes tables&#33DO NOT install ANY XP/NT system to FAT32. The reason you can't see NTFS from win 98 is because that's what it was designed to do. Others then can't see it either. Security First! 
    Yes HP can be a bitch they have an annoying habit of selling systems with the operating system set up on separate partition for a restore.It would be much nicer if they just gave you the disc with your O.S. on it. You loose your drive you lose your O.S. Great system

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    LoL. I have a Pentium 2 333MHz with 256mb ram and I haven't had one problem with a downloaded Win XP Pro yet and I have been running it for quiet some time. The only problem I have is that it take's up quiet a bit space on my tiny hard drive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    it seems to allways have some sort of currupt bullcrap file or whatnot when i downloaded it off kazaa. (I tried 3 diffrent times..all had 3 diffrent currupted files, thus the previous ones in 1 and 2 were like no currupt, heh..)

I did a search on packetnews.com, searched for XP PRO sp1 (intergrated one)
    I downloaded it with a DIRECT DOWNLOAD..fast...easy...and the whole package from 1 guy=no curruption.

learn to use irc and try that if u keep the currupted files and stuff.

Irc and emule are 2nd resourt programs for stuff.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Another newbie with questions... The system I want to upgrade is W98 2nd Ed. The box is a Compaq Presario 5441 with AMD K-6 and 312 MB RAM (after I added 256 MB card). I do not have a CD burner, but I have a pockey drive (it's a mobile hard drive). I am currently trying to get Win XP Pro Corp from Kazaa. Somebody please tell me what detailed steps I need to take to install XP (including file back-ups, formatting the HD, etc.). Can I do it w/o a CD? If necessary, I will look arounf for a friend to burn this for me on a CD, although I'd rather try an alternate method (pockey drive?).

Other considerations... Internet is through condo dedicated Ethernet connection. The box I want to upgrade does not have Ethernet card, but I connect Ethernet to USB port on PC via an adapter.

Thanks to all!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    bear in mind if you are getting the .exe form kazaa you will need to rename it to .sio

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Why rename the .exe to .sio? What is .sio? Does this enable me to install Win XP Pro Corp from hard drive instead of CD? ... ...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    It's .iso not .sio

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    rename it to .iso which is a cd image

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12