Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xp Install

Okay, okay, I hope this question does not piss anyone off
    Getting windows xp. It is in .exe form.
    My question is: Do you have to open the .exe file and THEN burn the contents to an image on cd, or do you just burn the .exe to the cd? Which way will enable it, so when I boot from cd on a clean HD its ready to install from there?
    Thank you!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    TRshady
    Unzip it, then burn the unzipped contents onto a cd. Theres the autorun already there so your'll be ok.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Well all you do is unzip all the files to wherever and then you burn every single file/folder to disc. Once you have done that you pop the cd into your disc drive and it will auto run because their is a auto run file in the files and your ready to go.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    Do mean auto run through windows or boot up ur comp from dos with nothing on ur h/d

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by CosmoK@24 April 2003 - 23:57
    Do mean auto run through windows or boot up ur comp from dos with nothing on ur h/d
    When I install, it will be "clean" as in Nothing but a partition in dos

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    hey kid just make a folder named win xp and extract the zip in it and start the setup.i hope u can read the instructions during installation and continue

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by vegeta@25 April 2003 - 00:46
    hey kid just make a folder named win xp and extract the zip in it and start the setup.i hope u can read the instructions during installation and continue
    OK, thats reaaaally funny as I am 26!
    And I only started using a computer one year ago! contrary to popular belief, not everyone owns a comp B)
    Yes I do know how to "extract to a folder"
    I need to make a CLEAN install. I have installed my current OS many times (winME) but have never installed
    an OS I got off the internet. Just wanted to make sure it was done RIGHT! B)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    I'm still waiting to update my ME to XP, but i just don't dare yet!

But this is what i heard you should do...

1. Extract it to a folder
    2. Burn it to a cd (not the folder but just the contents) (Duh&#33
    3. Format your c: drive (yes yes... it's better this way, but you already said you would)
    4. Reboot your pc with the New XP disc in a boot cd drive (A cd drive that's connected as "master") or it won't boot.
    5. Follow instructions, and when he ask about your configuration (you drive is formatted in FAT32) choose KEEP configuration&#33

And... than... it should install and leave your hd in FAT32 format (if you want to change back to ME because it sucks.. maybe?)

I'm planning to do the same... but as explained above... i'm waiting for the best moment..
    (But i have a real copy of XP with the latest service packs. I suggest.. get one also to be safe&#33
    Or test the new burned disc first and boot it up..
    Oh.. and make shure your ethernet card is XP compatible!

Good Luck man!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by Rocktron@25 April 2003 - 09:14
    And... than... it should install and leave your hd in FAT32 format (if you want to change back to ME because it sucks.. maybe?)
    ME is one of the worst Microsoft OS's out there.

If you've got a reasonably new machine, you'll never look back once you get XP.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by spudlover+25 April 2003 - 12:12--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spudlover @ 25 April 2003 - 12:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Rocktron@25 April 2003 - 09:14
    ME is one of the worst Microsoft OS&#39;s out there.

If you&#39;ve got a reasonably new machine, you&#39;ll never look back once you get XP. [/b][/quote]
    Maybe so..,

I have 2 computers and this one in the living room workes great&#33; No problems what so ever.
    But the one in the music room doesn&#39;t work with ME, it hangs after clicking Start already&#33;

And XP.., well i have browsed alot around this forum and i see so many problem questions, that i just don&#39;t dare to
    install XP. Tryed it about 5 times now, and it still doesn&#39;t work for me.
    I think you just have to have a NEW computer that is remanufactured and updated to work with XP.
    My suggestion is: If you own an old (let&#39;s say 800MHZ P3 computer like mine).. leave XP alone&#33;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast