Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Awesome Arsenal!

Carcinus's Avatar Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Yeah I like soccer a wee bit but I come from a scoring mentality. If a team beats someone handily then I think it should reflect in the score.

To me, soccer is alota back in forth with little result. My thought is if Arsenal was so good (yes ok it was a shut out) then when they made a run at goal but either missed or was blocked then (besides 2 succesful attempts) then it doesn't sound like such an ass whippin'.

Could've been 5 - 0? It wasn't though.

I watch English League soccer (among others and baseball) from time to time but sometimes get too bored to finish the match.
    Part of the skill in football is stopping the other team scoring. That's what makes it exciting, because a goal is really special.

High scoring games like the Liverpool (7), Birmingham (0), games tend to be less exciting because they are a walkover/absolute pasting. The differences between the two teams performances leading to results like this is so high that the only appeal of the game is to see how far one team can be humiliated. Low scoring games where teams are well-matched in performance can be far more exciting because of the tension created by good attacking and defending.

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Carcinus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

Yeah, but the score didn't get into the triple figures for either team and why was that Henry chap not dressed up in a ton of armor (sic) and what happened to the advert breaks? There was like one. I need a break every five minutes from the intense action man and be told what to buy.

Anyhow, I expect that Juventus will be happy that they have won their domestic tournament (after all that's all that is important) and not some fruity little foreign tournament.
    Yeh, and how come each squad has so few players. Only three subsitutes? What's that about? And where's the oxygen tanks for when the players run really fast!

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    High scoring games like the Liverpool (7), Birmingham (0), games tend to be less exciting because they are a walkover/absolute pasting. The differences between the two teams performances leading to results like this is so high that the only appeal of the game is to see how far one team can be humiliated. Low scoring games where teams are well-matched in performance can be far more exciting because of the tension created by good attacking and defending.
    I have seen plenty of very exciting matches that end 4 - 3. loads of goals and close fought game you can have the best of both worlds.

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    Who to be a..GOONER!
    Beating a quality side 2-0 is an excellent result. Quality teams rarely concede a lot of goals. Remember, Juventus had only lost one game all season, 8 points clear at the top of the Italian league and they had scored in every game this season. Arsenal have been struggling in the league (currently 6th!) which shows how well they played on the night.

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    I have seen plenty of very exciting matches that end 4 - 3. loads of goals and close fought game you can have the best of both worlds.
    My point exactly. Close fought games, with well-matched teams, whatever the end result, are better than high-scoring walkovers.

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    baccyman's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

Yeah, but the score didn't get into the triple figures for either team and why was that Henry chap not dressed up in a ton of armor (sic) and what happened to the advert breaks? There was like one. I need a break every five minutes from the intense action man and be told what to buy.

Anyhow, I expect that Juventus will be happy that they have won their domestic tournament (after all that's all that is important) and not some fruity little foreign tournament.
    Yeh, and how come each squad has so few players. Only three subsitutes? What's that about? And where's the oxygen tanks for when the players run really fast!
    i remember a guy called John Riggins (washington redskins) was always getting oxygen even after a 25 yrd run.

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by baccyman

i remember a guy called John Riggins (washington redskins) was always getting oxygen even after a 25 yrd run.
    John Riggins was a truck though.

Also a player that runs 100 yards in football is running at balls out speed. Hell I wish I had oxygen available to me when I ran track (long distance and sprint).
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by baccyman

John Riggins was a truck though.

Also a player that runs 100 yards in football is running at balls out speed. Hell I wish I had oxygen available to me when I ran track (long distance and sprint).
    You think that in other sports that the players sprinting for the ball aren't running as fast as they can.

The simple fact is that American football players aren't as fit as sportmen who particpate in a lot of other sports.

They don't have to be.

That's why the players occasionally need oxygen.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    It's because the air is thinner in America. Nothing to do with the inferior fitness of their sportspeople.

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Yeah I like soccer a wee bit but I come from a scoring mentality. If a team beats someone handily then I think it should reflect in the score.

To me, soccer is alota back in forth with little result. My thought is if Arsenal was so good (yes ok it was a shut out) then when they made a run at goal but either missed or was blocked then (besides 2 succesful attempts) then it doesn't sound like such an ass whippin'.

Could've been 5 - 0? It wasn't though.

I watch English League soccer (among others and baseball) from time to time but sometimes get too bored to finish the match.
    Part of the skill in football is stopping the other team scoring. That's what makes it exciting, because a goal is really special.
    Agreed. 'Cause it's not as often.

I like stuff like the juke moves in soccer when the guy is dribbling and makes another fall and then scores. I like the flair...which I don't see often. Someone posted a compilation awhile back.

Let me go further...when I see a highlight reel from a soccer match it is super short.

I mean part of many games is to stop the other team from scoring.

My initial comment was mainly about what's considered an ass-whippin'. It sounds like if you shut the other team out..even 1 - 0 then that's an ass-whippin'. I think someone remarked that even a 1 - 1 score with one team considered better than the other is considered a win for the lesser team.

Kinda like Blackjack where a push is considered a win...'cause you didn't lose with the odds against you.

I understand these subtle details, but in sport, enjoying it is a different matter.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast