Thread: Protecting Privacy

know how you can protect your privacy on the comp? I have ad-aware,etc.. but is there any way to tell if anyone has been snooping around on your comp, seeing what you have, planting bugs to keep track of everything,etc? and if so, is there anyway this program can stop that? The only thing I can think of is a FW, if so, which one?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster

hi there !
    one of the best programmes in my opinion is Ontrack System Suite 4 . not only does it have an excellent firewall that informs you of the ip address of someone trying to attack your computer, it also has an anti-virus and a "crash proof" alert that warns you to save any data because the computer is about to freeze or crash(it normally prevents a freeze/crash
    it also tells you if a programme on your computer is trying to connect to the web. you can put a permanent block on any programme from connecting(pretty handy for pirated software) it also cleans up your whole system deleting unwanted files etc a defrag. and so on. available on K++
    regards
    m8t

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ljossberir@26 April 2003 - 01:02
    know how you can protect your privacy on the comp? I have ad-aware,etc.. but is there any way to tell if anyone has been snooping around on your comp, seeing what you have, planting bugs to keep track of everything,etc? and if so, is there anyway this program can stop that? The only thing I can think of is a FW, if so, which one?
    ZoneAlarm- free personal firewall

SpyBot Search & Destroy- find and removes spyware, free

PeerGuardian- blocks attempts to scan computer, blocklist updated frequently,free

Abtrusion- blocks unknown programs from executing without permission, free

ZoneAlarm is available at www.Downloads.com
    SpyBot and PeerGuardian are available at www.k-lite.tk
    Abtrusion is available at www.abtrusion.com

All of these progs are free, relatively easy to configure and will help. Not the last word in personal protection, I'm sure that others can recommend more sophisticated solutions, but this will get you started.

Good luck.

Oh, I almost forgot...
    Go to options>more options>bottom of page check"prevent other users from getting a list of your files".

This is the semi-contaversial "privacy patch" which DOES NOT prevent you from sharing, it only stops people from browsing your Shared Folder. If you scan the Forum you'll find arguments pro and con for enabling this option. Make up your own mind as to the level of security you feel comfy with.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg