Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between SLI & Crossfire?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    a lot of ppl have told me sli is WAY better than that of crossfire. why? i've seen benchmarks and they perform the same. when i ask ppl why sli is better no one has an answer. no one. sli is just better just cuz? ok... i've heard that ati just couldn't get crossfire to work properly. well, once again, benchmarks prove otherwise. can u ppl tell me the difference or is it just user opinion?

ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe

looks to be very promising!
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i heard that crossfire was better because the alternate frame method means that your box can actually go 200% the framerate of a single card, whereas with SLI you get 130% if you're lucky

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    CF is definitely better.

Search for SLI vs CF on google or something, because I've seen a comparison chart and CF owns SLI.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i think the big difference is that SLI can't actually go double the speed because each card has to do all the shadows and overlay for the fullscreen so can only save time in rendering textures and maybe a few polygons, whereas crossfire just runs two seperate renders at alternating times so what a card can do at 15fps comes across as 30fps

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    crossfire is better cause you double your power. I think, people think SLI is better because they get more promotion

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    yeah, according to this crossfire pwnz sli. maybe i read it wrong, but says ati crossfire cards can go in nvidia sli mb's.?

also, ati cards HAVE to say crossfire for it to do crossfire or as long as it's pci-e it's crossfire?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    another advantage of CF is that you can use dissimilar cards, which untill recently, you could not do with SLI. so with crossfire, as long as the cards in question are of the same base number (x850, x1600, x1800, x1900) you can run them in crossfire- so for example, you could get maximum power and tv tuning by running a performance x1800 master card and a all in wonder x1800 slave card, and cf wouldn't complain. with Nvidia, however, the cards would have to be identical matches, same specs from the same manufacturer. sli gets more publicity because it was first out on the market, so it has become the default name for dual graphics systems, like Coke, bondo, Zamboni and Jeep. also, for a while after both dual graphics systems were released, Nvidia was considered top heap with the 7800gt and 7800gtx, so the people willing to pay for dual graphics cards generally had enough money to buy the best cards and therefore were buying Nvidia, so you saw a lot more high end sli machines out there than CF
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    according to a lot of ppl who are using crossfire the bios that cums with the mb's especially asus needs to be updated as soon as u boot it up. lots of gaming issues. once bios has been successfully updated a lot of problems cease, but still some linger. hrmm. bios/chipset issues... maybe this is one of the reasons ppl go sli?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    crossfire is rather a new technology in comparison to sli, so i think that solving this issues is just a matter of time

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    nice little benchmarks here.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast