Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Revealed: victims of UK's cold war torture camp"

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Quote Originally Posted by ahctlucabbuS
    No, I can't claim he has double standards, that's a bit of a reach (which I admitted) based only on this thread. Though if I remember correctly I'm sure I can dig up the thread about Iraqi prison behaviour and his response there. In any case, I'd say double standards in this case is better than supporting torture across the board, no?
    Please try, I think you will be mistaken.

While I may not support forcing people to carry out homosexual acts, tying electrical wires to them, throwing menstrual blood them or kicking the shit out of prisoners, I have no problem with sleep depravation, stress psositions and exposure to cold etc as interrogation methods. In fact as part of of British Army training you are taught how to cope with these interogation methods.

Anyone watch the series on BBC2 a couple of years ago called SAS: Are you tough enough?
    Yeah part of many soldiers' training deals with coping with torture.

If you have no problem with those methods of interrogation then you support that type of torture and it is not allowed per the Geneva Convention.

As I said, torture is torture.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Sometimes I think the Geneva Conventions were written by pussies, for pussies.

Hell, if I miss dessert, I've tortured myself.

If I don't get to bed on time, I've tortured myself.

If I fall asleep with a light on, ditto.

Oh, dear me.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    My wife says under the Geneva Convention I have to fix that dripping tap, I mean, wtf???

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Quote Originally Posted by ahctlucabbuS
    No, I can't claim he has double standards, that's a bit of a reach (which I admitted) based only on this thread. Though if I remember correctly I'm sure I can dig up the thread about Iraqi prison behaviour and his response there. In any case, I'd say double standards in this case is better than supporting torture across the board, no?
    Please try, I think you will be mistaken.

While I may not support forcing people to carry out homosexual acts, tying electrical wires to them, throwing menstrual blood them or kicking the shit out of prisoners, I have no problem with sleep depravation, stress psositions and exposure to cold etc as interrogation methods. In fact as part of of British Army training you are taught how to cope with these interogation methods.

Anyone watch the series on BBC2 a couple of years ago called SAS: Are you tough enough?
    I disagree, I see your examples as reflecting torture and agrees with Busyman's latest.

Psychological torture is often worse than blatant physical. The uncertainty aspect of beeing constantly alert and unsure of what and when to expect "the treatment" is just as responsible for later psychological problems as purely reliable physical torture.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    My wife says under the Geneva Convention I have to fix that dripping tap, I mean, wtf???
    Water torture.

Is she of chinese origin, by any chance?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Ok then, bit off tangent to the original post but I think quite a valid discussion point.

How would you suggest information is extracted from people that have been captured who do not wish to pass on the information they have?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Ok then, bit off tangent to the original post but I think quite a valid discussion point.

How would you suggest information is extracted from people that have been captured who do not wish to pass on the information they have?
    Ask them nicely and reward them with dessert, of course.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™

Is that what the US tried with Zacarias Moussaoui ? Cos I'd suggest that it doesn't work.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Is that what the US tried with Zacarias Moussaoui ? Cos I'd suggest that it doesn't work.
    Mmk.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40

Mmk.
    Do you not think in some cases the end outweighs the means Busy?

If they had used questionable torture/interogation methods on this man he may have broken and a whole lot of shit would never have taken place.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast