Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: "Revealed: victims of UK's cold war torture camp"

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™
    Ask them nicely and reward them with dessert, of course.
    Is that what the US tried with Zacarias Moussaoui ? Cos I'd suggest that it doesn't work.
    DannyBoy,

you haven't been keeping up. the US govt has decided that, because of it's constitution, torture is allowed so long as it is not on a US citizen or on US soil. there's been quite the broohaha about it. they signed up to the treaty and then found it inconvenient. so they used some constitution trickery to come up with this current stance. true story.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Mmk.
    Do you not think in some cases the end outweighs the means Busy?
    Absolutely.

However, in the Abu Grabass case for instance, I think most of that shit was uncalled for. Furthermore, I think the soldier's superiors should be court martialed and not just the soldiers.

These are done covertly by all countries but if you get caught, you should be in trouble.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 04-05-2006 at 01:18 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Ok then, bit off tangent to the original post but I think quite a valid discussion point.

How would you suggest information is extracted from people that have been captured who do not wish to pass on the information they have?
    You know, '24' is entertaining and all, but something have got to be said about Bauer's methods.

There's a reason they send trained professionals to handle sensible interrogation. There are countless of benign, intelligent ways to extract information (how are police cases solved?). Cases where said information are impossible to extract, and in the matter of absolute necessity are quite few, I'm sure. And even then, the information they receive can hardly be called reliable. As the article mentioned, propaganda or not, your own government have denied use of torture on the basis of it beeing inefficient...

As Busyman points out, and as this case illustrated, torture is more often than not used as a means to cruelty, not information. If you ask me, applying torture is a quite irrational behaviour used by irrational individuals.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Ok then, bit off tangent to the original post but I think quite a valid discussion point.

How would you suggest information is extracted from people that have been captured who do not wish to pass on the information they have?
    Get them pissed...then interrogate with a trained psycologist.

Takes longer than Sodium Pentathol, but its legal.

Takes more Brain Power to lie, so anything that deminishes the higher thought processes makes it easier to get at the truth.

... of course you make then trample on Religious beliefs in some cases.. then try Hypnotism 1st.

Hell Dan, you know there are lots of ways to get at information that are better than torture... even if some of those ways are just as illegal.

I'd think better of someone that had accidently OD'd someone than if they had killed them through consistant brutality.

Either way they should be convicted if caught.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced

Get them pissed...then interrogate with a trained psycologist.

Takes longer than Sodium Pentathol, but its legal.

Takes more Brain Power to lie, so anything that deminishes the higher thought processes makes it easier to get at the truth.

... of course you make then trample on Religious beliefs in some cases.. then try Hypnotism 1st.

Hell Dan, you know there are lots of ways to get at information that are better than torture... even if some of those ways are just as illegal.

I'd think better of someone that had accidently OD'd someone than if they had killed them through consistant brutality.

Either way they should be convicted if caught.
    Anything can be considered torture that makes a prisoner uncomfortable. I think it's mad that sleep deprivation can't be used.

I wonder is one allowed to place a prisoner in a mostly dark room with a swinging overhead lamp. The captors will probably get in trouble for causing vertigo.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Anything can be considered torture that makes a prisoner uncomfortable. I think it's mad that sleep deprivation can't be used.

Iwould imagine being locked up in a cell is pretty uncomfortable. They should let all the prisoners go, or at least put them up in 5 star hotels for the duration of their incarceration...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa

Iwould imagine being locked up in a cell is pretty uncomfortable. They should let all the prisoners go, or at least put them up in 5 star hotels for the duration of their incarceration...
    Eggzacklee. It's seems that's what'll have to be done. Don't make too much noise either. They might not get their 8-hours sleep. Serve'em gourmet meals 3 times a day too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345